Chapter One

"Scott, hurry up! Dinner's gonna get cold," I shouted up the stairs, as I paced into the kitchen. I had just gotten back with a box of pizza and a new book from the bookstore. My twin, Scott, jogged down the stairs. I grimaced at him, and threw a towel in his direction.

"If I'm not walking around without a shirt on, neither are you," I grumble. He rubs the back of his neck and shrugs.

"Did Mom say when she was getting home tonight?" He asked. I shook my head, shrugging with a mouth full of pizza. I flip open the cover to my new murder mystery book. Scott glanced over the cover and grimaced.

"You and Stiles really need to stop exchanging book recommendations. Those pictures will give me nightmares, man." I rolled my eyes at his childishness and kept reading. We both sat there in silence for a while until I heard a bump upstairs. My eyes shot up to Scotts. He tiptoed to the stairs, and I followed him holding my book up as a weapon. He grabbed a bat from his room, as we walked over to the doors to the balcony. He flung them open, and I let out a yell as I held my book up, ready to strike. My eyes lock onto our friend's, Stiles. We all screamed at the same time. Stiles gripped the side of the railing and pulled himself up.

"Stiles, what the hell are you doing?!" Scott shouted, pacing back inside. I laughed slightly, and we made our way back in.

"You guys weren't answering the phone! Were you really going to hit me with a book?" Stiles asked me. I shrugged and offered it to him. He gave me a cheeky grin.

"Sweet! I tried finding you a copy, but I couldn't find it anywhere. So, I was going to just take a trip to the next town to see if I could find another one. But you already found one, and now I'm rambling, I'm sorry." I chuckled, as Scott offered him the box of pizza.

"Thanks Stiles, but I have my connections at the Library. Now, what's up? Don't you guys have practice tomorrow?" I asked slightly confused as to why he was here.

"Yeah, I know it's late, but you've got to hear this. My dad left twenty minutes ago, dispatch call. They're bringing every officer of the Beacon department, and even the state police," he said, crunching down on the pizza excitedly.

"For what?" Scott asked. Stiles munched thoughtfully for a second, as I perched on the chair across from him.

"They found a body in the woods," Stiles said, glancing at me as my eyes went wide. Scott almost choked.

"A dead body?" Scott asked. I face palmed, and Stiles rolled his eyes.

"No, a body of water... Yes, jackass! It's a dead body!" He said. I thought for a moment and put a hand up.

"Like, murdered?" I asked. Stiles smiled at me.

"Nobody knows yet. It was a girl, probably in her twenties..." he trailed off, looking around the room. We finished our food and made our way upstairs to Scott's room.

"Hold on, if they found the body, then what are they looking for?" Scott asked. I looked to Stiles expectantly, and he rubbed his hands together.

"That's the best part... They only found a half! We're going," he exclaimed.

"I cannot believe we're doing this," I sighed as I trudged through the forest behind Scott.

"Y/n, you always say that nothing ever happens in this town!" Stiles said. I stumble a bit, but Stiles stops to help me up. I smile gratefully at him. He pulls me up the hill. Scott stops at a tree and puts his hands on his knees, panting.

"Real nice, Stiles. Be nice to Y/n as always, and leave me behind with my burning lungs," Scott complained. He took a puff out of his inhaler. "I was trying to get a good night sleep before practice tomorrow," he finished, legging it up the hill on his own. I pat him on the back.