Chapter Fifty Seven

"Okay, I'll ask... Who's Kate Argent?" Malia said, her head leaned between Stiles and I. Scott sat in the back seat, Kira nearly on his lap. Malia sat between the two and Lydia. My body stiffened, and Stiles' fingers intertwined with my own.

"Uh, I'd like to know, too," Kira said quietly. Stiles looked over to meet for a moment as he drove.

"Well, we were at her funeral, so I'd like to know how she got out of a casket that was buried six feet underground," he said. I glanced in the side mirror, catching Scott's eye.

"She was never in it," I muttered.

"She was Allison's aunt, and a total sociopath," Lydia said. Kira looked slightly embarrassed.

"You don't have to talk about it now if you don't want to," Kira said to me. Malia glanced over at me with raised eyebrows.

"Uh— Yes they do!" Malia said, giving me a pointed look. Kira began to say something in protest, but Scott sighed.

"Yeah, she's right. You guys should know. You need to know," he muttered. Stiles' thumb traced around my hand, as he tried to coax me to speak. My mouth was held in a firm line, and Stiles glanced back at Scott for a moment.

"Alright... Kate was the one who set the fire that killed most of Derek's family," Stiles began. I bit my cheek.

"Some of them survived, like Cora and Peter," I said. Stiles gave me a small smile.

"A very angry Peter," Lydia added.

"Yeah, he's the one who bit and turned me—"

"And the one who finally caught up to Kate and killed her," I finished. Stiles nodded.

"We saw her get buried," he said. I shook my head.

"No... All we saw was a casket, remember? She obviously wasn't in it," I corrected. Stiles glanced at me, and I leaned my head against the window as Scott continued.

"The Calaveras heard that Kate had been killed by an Alpha's claws. They wanted to make sure she was really dead. Her body was healing, more and more, as she got closer to the full moon. She was coming back. So, they switched the bodies. If a Hunter is bit, they have to take their own life before they change," he explained. I looked back at the girls in the backseat.

"The Calaveras... Well, they treat the Code like law. They make it their responsibility to enforce it," I said. Malia smiled.

"Good for her! I wouldn't do it, either," she said with respect. I raised my eyebrows.

"Would you kill a half-dozen people to get out? Because that's what she did."

"Wait— So, Kate's a Werewolf now?" Kira asked. Scott shrugged.

"I don't know. You know, there's a saying: 'Sometimes, the shape you take reflects the person you are,'" he said. Lydia rolled her eyes, as I turned back to the front.

"What kind of shape is sociopathic bitch?" She asked. I let out a snort, and then it felt like we hit something. Stiles hand flew to my shoulders, holding me back as he slammed on his breaks. We slid to a stop, as Malia almost jolted up to the front. I hopped out of the car, looking around at the ground and then at the tires. Braeden turned around on her motorcycle, coming back to us.

"What happened?" She asked. I glanced at the hood of the Jeep, and Stiles looked at me with a worried expression.

"I don't know— it felt like we hit something," he said. Scott looked at us, as I went to pop the hood of the Jeep. I sighed when I saw a bit of smoke puff out at me.