Chapter Forty Two

"They were there for two days, waiting. That's what we were taught to do when the Hunters find us, hide and heal," Cora said. I groaned, and Stiles rolled his eyes. I sat on Derek's desk.

"Okay, so is two days the standard? Or are we thinking Derek's on some extended getaway?" Stiles asked impatiently.

"Why do you care?" Cora snapped. Stiles rolled his eyes.

"Why do I care? Let's see here. Over the last few weeks, my best friend tried to kill himself and my girlfriend, their boss nearly got ritually sacrificed, a girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed, Boyd was killed by Alphas— I, Oh do you want me to keep going? 'Cause I can, okay? For an eternity!" Stiles snapped. Cora crossed her arms, and I sighed, standing back up.

"Okay, guys. This is not helping. Derek is the one who everyone seems to be after, right? So maybe he could give us some insight?" I said. Cora shook her head, lightening up.

"I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him," Cora said. I sat her down on the couch.

"What was he like?" I asked. Cora shrugged, and a hand swiped my hair from my neck. Peter stood behind me.

"A lot like Scott, actually. Like most teenagers, honestly. Unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers," Peter said. Stiles grabbed Peter's hand, swiping it away from my shoulder. He glared at Peter.

"So what happened? What changed him?" Stiles asked, sitting on the arm of the chair behind me.

"The same thing that changes all of you young men," Peter said. Stiles looked at me and back to Peter with a questioning glance. Peter scoffed. "A girl," he said. Stiles raised an eyebrow.

"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the mean grump he is?" Stiles asked incredulously. I looked over at him with a critical eye. He cleared his throat. "Not that you leaving me wouldn't absolutely end my whole existence, Y/n," he corrected. I pursed my lips.

"Watch it, Stilinski," I said jokingly. Peter sighed.

"Do you remember Derek, before he was an Alpha, had blue eyes? That's why Derek is the way he is."

"Why?" I asked. Peter sat across from us.

"It's because of what changed the color of his eyes," Peter said. He began to tell us about Derek when he was a teenager. Peter went into detail about a girl named Paige. Derek fell in love with her, and she was bitten from an Alpha. Ennis was the Alpha that Derek had killed. I now understood the bad blood between them. Derek was forced to kill Paige to save her from the suffering from the Alpha bite, as her body had rejected it. When Peter finished, I wiped a tear from my eye.

"Come on, Y/n," Stiles said. I shook my head.

"That's just awful. Of course he's so broken— What if you had to kill me, Stiles?" I asked. Stiles stopped talking, and I turned back to Peter. "So, how do Deaton and Ms. Morrell fit in to the picture?" I looked over between Peter and Cora.

"They keep us connected to humanity. But, they're a secret, even in the pack. Sometimes only the Alpha knows who the Emissary is. Derek and I had no idea about Deaton," Cora explained. I nodded. It made sense, and after the way Deaton reacted to Stiles questioning him about the Druids, it was obvious.

"Or his sister, Morrell," Peter added. Stiles looked shocked.

"She's an Emissary, too?" Stiles asked. Peter nodded.

"For the Alpha pack,"

"Our guidance counselor? Why the hell don't you people tell me any of this stuff, huh??? I shared some really intimate details with her!" Stiles shouted. I raised my eyebrow at him.