Chapter Fifty Eight

"I don't think he's just younger in body... I think he's younger in his mind, too," Deaton explained. I crossed my arms.

"He didn't recognize either of us. And he looked like he was scared out of his mind," Lydia said. Stiles looked at me anxiously and then turned to Deaton.

"So, if you're a teenage Werewolf, and you're scared, where do you go?" Stiles asked. I thought for a moment, remembering when I was trying to calm him down last night— he didn't feel like normal grouchy, depressed, and lonely Derek. He just felt like a kid who was confused.

"A wolf goes back to its den... But Derek lives in a loft," Scott offered. I shook my head.

"No— He's at the Hale House. He didn't seem like he lost his family when I connected with him last night. He just seemed confused," I said. Stiles inspected me for a moment, and Deaton nodded.

"He wouldn't remember the fire— it wouldn't have happened yet," Deaton said. Lydia raised an eyebrow to us.

"Hold on... Say you do manage to catch up to him? What are you going to say to him? That his whole family is dead?" Lydia asked. Stiles and I looked at each other for a moment.

"I guess I'm going to have to," Scott said hesitantly. Lydia rolled her eyes.

"Oh! Good luck with that."

"She's probably right. Maybe you shouldn't? You know, at least until we figure out how to get him back to normal," Stiles advised. Scott shook his head at us.

"I can't lie to him—"

"Okay, I'll do it," Stiles interrupted. Scott furrowed his eyebrows.

"I don't think any of us can. Remember, he can hear a heartbeat rising. When we find him, we tell him the truth," Scott insisted. I looked around at the group.

"I can lie to him," I muttered. Scott looked at me with narrowed eyebrows.

"We tell him the truth," Scott insisted again. I looked back at Stiles again, and he shrugged. I looked back at Scott.

"We'll see about that."

"I want you to be honest with me— absolutely and completely honest," Mr. Stilinski said, looking at us three. We sat in his office, as the younger Derek had been brought in an hour before after trespassing on his family's old home. "...Have you been time traveling?" The Sheriff finished. I snorted, and Stiles looked at him with disbelief.

"Hang on. What?" He asked. Mr. Stilinski leaned back on his desk, waving his hands.

"Because if time traveling is real... You know what? I'm done. I'm out. You're going to be driving me to Eichen House," he said dramatically. I rolled my eyes.

"We found him like that."

"Where? Swimming in the damn fountain of youth?" Mr. Stilinski exclaimed. Stiles put his hands out.

"No... We found him buried in a tomb of wolfsbane in an Aztec temple in Mexico underneath a church in the middle of a town that was destroyed by an earthquake," he explained quickly. Mr. Stilinski looked at him with wide eyes.

"You told me you were camping!" He shouted. I smiled lightly.

"We were— Just, in Mexico," I offered. Scott sighed.

"Derek's been aged backwards-- he can't remember anything. We just need to talk to him," Scott said. Mr. Stilinski ran a hand over his head.

"Yeah, well, so far, he's not talking to anybody," he said. I looked to Scott.