Epilogue

Madison
Next day

"On some real shit, I ain't even tryn' go in here." Gi scoffed to me while I sat in the passenger seat of his car with sad eyes.

"But babe, you said you would." I expressed, just wanting him to do this and get it over with.

Whether he thought it was important or not, he needed to. I'd already explained that to him. Our entire family dynamic depended on it.

"For what, bro? I ain't even worried bout' this shit.." He trailed off angrily.

"Fuck you think this shit gon' make her like you because you getting me to talk to her?" He turned to look at me and I looked at him with hurt eyes.

"Is that what you think, baby?" He went on speaking softer now and I shook my head no in disbelief, not knowing if I was even telling the truth.

All I knew was that I wanted everything to be resolved and to be able to move on from it but I guess there were deeper issues at hand.

"Look."

"If this is about my moms liking you and you think you gon' get some points with her then this shit is dead, baby."

"I ain't doing this shit because I don't even feel comfortable sitting in her face, knowing she hurt my wife. All while my wife is still hoping for a chance at friendship." He expressed, looking into my eyes and I could feel tears welding up in mind because I knew that he was right but here I was pushing for more.

Here I was living in a dream world with a perfect family that loved each other. Where my parents loved Gi and his mom loved me.

"I just-" I started but stopped, covering my face so he wouldn't see me cry. Lord knows I was sick of crying at this point.

"Madison." He called, grabbing my hands and pulling them away from my face.

"Wouldn't you want the same?" I expressed to him, referring to my parents.

It was like he didn't understand me at all. If my parents, especially my father, didn't like him for a long time and called him all kinds of names, hurting his pride, then finally got an apology and the respect he'd wanted all along, he would hesitate.

He would want to take that too.

"I just want you to understand, Giovanni."

"I ain't never said I don't understand how you feel, Madison." He spoke sternly to me, slouching in his seat more.

"I understand how you feel, aight?" He empathized, lifting my chin so that I looked up into his eyes while he spoke.

"I ain't even gon' invalidate yo' feelings bout' it because I know you got a good heart."

"And I know you want my mama to like you."

"Aight?" He clenched his jaw as I took in everything he was saying.

"I know you want this fairytale family and I know you want a happy ending, where everybody's happy and shit, but baby our ending can't be happy if she's in it."

"Gi-"

"Nah, listen to me." He cut me off, making me be completely quiet.

"She took away your happiness the last time and seeing you unhappy, made me unhappy." He pointed to himself, trying to explain.

"Yeah that's my mama but we can't keep putting her in the position to dictate that shit nomore."

"She had her chance with us, with my son but now she blew it. You hear me?" He asked, looking into my wet eyes and I nodded in understanding.

"That's my mama and I'm always gon' love her but it's certain lines you can't cross because ain't no coming back from them. And I ain't tryn' just let this shit slide, ma."

"I ain't ready to do this shit and I don't know when I'll be but for right now, I just want to focus on us."

"I want to focus on you and my son, ma."

"That's all." He expressed, still looking into my eyes and I nodded in agreement.

Everything he was saying was true and he'd honestly made me look at things differently. I thought that since she was his mom, we were just supposed to automatically forgive. She was our elder, you were always supposed to respect them.

No matter how much it hurt you.

But I guess he was right, you never give people another chance to hurt you a second time. You take your time to heal and you decide when you'll be ready again to allow that person back into your life.

If ever.

It's just crazy that it had to be with his mom.

"I understand, babe." I spoke softly, looking into his eyes.

"I guess I was holding onto hope that you would forgive her then her and I would be cordial then end up having a great friendship." I admitted what had been on my heart since her very first call.

"Yeah I know, yo ' ass get like that."

"But this ain't about her nomore, it's bout' us, babygirl."

"We bout' to have a baby, we gotta get our shit together. We can't be worried bout' shit like this nomore."

"You hear me?" He asked, looking into my eyes and I wipe my face clear of tears before nodding my head yes.

"Yes, baby."

"You're right." I nodded in agreement and he looked at me with a smirk as he started his car, preparing to leave.

"Aight then, fix that pretty face and stop dwelling on this shit."

"It's over." He spoke sternly, roughly pulling away from the house as we made our way down the block.

"She can't hurt you no more and I will never allow that shit again."

"You're my wife." He pointed to himself, making me smile.

"You hear me?" He spoke seriously and I nodded my head.

"Let me hear you say that shit." He taunted.

"I'm your wife." I smiled small, speaking softly.

"Nah.."

"Speak up, let me hear you say that." He spoke sternly, making me smile wide.

"I'm you're wife, Gi." I spoke a little louder now and he smirked to himself, looking at me out of the corner of his eye.

"Aight, coo."

"Marry me then."

*

Thoughts?

Concerns?