Twisting The Knife Into An Already Bleeding Heart

Chapter 8

Listen to: Haunted by Bastile

I was 7 years old chasing after my uncle in the dead of night, he knew my brother was in trouble so I followed them with much of Peter's reluctance to this idea.

He caught the arrow that almost pierced my brother's throat. He picked me up and grabbed Derek and we followed him to a old root cellar, somewhere we hoped the hunter couldn't find us. Peter held us both close to him to keep us safe. I was curled into a ball Peter held me close trying to keep me calm. I remember feeling so terrified.

We were there for two days.

+

It's been two days since Derek took off without a word. I hated to admit it but I was nervous. What if Kali didn't wait until the next full moon and went after Derek while he was alone? She could easily kill him.

I really need to learn how to shut my mouth.

Why did I tell him that?

Why did I have to twist the knife into his already bleeding heart?

God, I hate what a fucking monster I was, to my own family.

What the hell is wrong with Stiles for picking the bitch like me?

I walked down the stairs right when Cora said something about Derek.

“I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him.” Cora points out.

“What was he like?” Stiles questions.

I sit down on the steps. “In a word. Unbroken.” I pipe in looking down at the ground.

Peter walks down the stairs. “A lot like Scott, actually. A lot like most teenagers. Unbearably romantic profoundly narcissistic... Tolerable really only to other teenagers.”

“And so what happened? What changed him?” Stiles asks.

“Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men. A girl.” Peter replies. I looked up I knew exactly what girl he was talking about.

“You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?” Stiles asks incredulously.

I look up glaring at Stiles.

“Did you forget about the freaking fire that murdered almost all of our family? Because that screwed him up pretty freaking bad too Stiles.” I snap.

Stiles looks down unable to look at me. I look down as well. “I'm sorry.” I whisper.

“It's okay.” Stiles mutters.

Peter looked over at me giving me the same look he used to give me when I was little when he knew something was wrong, I looked away from him.

He nodded his head toward me. I got up and stood next to him. “Do you remember Derek before he was an Alpha had blue eyes?” Cora and I nod.

He then turned to look at Stiles. “Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?”

“I just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing.” Stiles replies.

“If you want to know what started the change in Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes.” I state. Peter and I share a look, this was one story I never wanted to retell.

I remembered when Derek first talked to Paige, he liked her from the beginning, she challenged him which he liked and she wasn't afraid to stand up to the popular guys which he respected he was his first love, he never thought his first love would be fatal.