Still Breathing

Listen to : Still Breathing by Mayday Parade

"Uncle Peter what were you my mom talking about?" I questions for the umpteenth time as we walked to my room.

"Nothing you need to worry about Annie." Peter replies. I roll my eyes.

"Then why were you yelling?" I counter.

He rolls his eyes this time. "You, Derek, Laura and Cora all fight with each other at one point or another right?"

I nod. "Well siblings fight it's a fact of life."

"Is it in the same list of facts like safe sex?" Peter jerks his head and looks at me sharply. "You are seven! Stop reading Derek's health textbooks!"

I smirk at him. It's not my fault Derek leaves them lying around when I'm bored.

I crawl into bed and Peter sits on the bed. "So, if you stop reading those books then I can give you a hint about your birthday." My eyes light up and I give him my most innocent eyes.

I nod. "Okay. I promise to stop reading them." Peter smiles warmly at me.

"I convinced your mother to let you skip school tomorrow so you can have a day off without missing a test." I smile.

"Really?" He nods.

"Can Cora come too, maybe Laura and Derek?" He shakes his head.

"Sorry, just you."

I nod. "But we can do whatever you want." Peter says as he flicks my braid. I smile.

"Okay."

"But you have to go to bed, young lady." I nod.

"Night Little Annie."

"Night Uncle Peter, I love you."

+

Derek sprinted down the hall with his sister flung over his shoulder, Stiles and Jennifer following in pursuit to get to the ambulance while Peter, Cora and Scott fought off the Alpha twins.

When the group made it out to the ambulance. Stiles called from in front. "It's still here."

He pulled the doors open and climbed in and helped Derek lie Anna onto the stretcher.

"Derek, over here." The former English teacher calls.

Derek and Stiles exchange a look then both look down at Anna who's eyes are still closed and her skin still bright from her fever.

The soft sound of claws clicking against the ground sends a chill down Stiles spin as he reaches for the doors trying to protect himself and Anna as well.

The Alpha and Darach sprint by the door back into the hospital after a loud roar sounds from Kali.

Stiles repositions himself on the seat and starts muttering to himself. "Okay, okay, okay. We're okay. We're all right. You okay? How you doing?"

Stiles looks over at Anna's body when he realizes her chest isn't moving up and down.

Terror and panic course through him. "Why do you look like you're not breathing?" He demands.

She wasn't.

"Anna? You're not breathing are you?" Stiles demands again. He puts his ear to her chest and he doesn't hear anything.

"Oh, no. Oh, God. Oh, no, no, no, Why are you not breathing? Come on. Anna please! I'm begging you. Anna!"

She doesn't respond. She doesn't move. Tears gather in Stiles' eyes. His heart wrenching in his chest at the thought of losing Anna, he was slowly fall more and more in love with her, he never uttered the words to her but he felt in and he couldn't lose her without her knowing it.