Chapter 13

"Andrew, what do you mean by that?"

Principal and Andrew were on a first-name basis?

"Exactly what I said, James. Since my daughter started this school she had been harassed both physically and verbally by the boy sitting right here. Me and my sons found out Mr. Smith tried to sexually assault her in the school bathroom. I'm truly disappointed that no teacher was aware or able to stop the situation that was playing out right before their eyes on school corridors"

Andrew was speaking perfectly calm and yet his voice was chilling. The room's attention was completely focused on him.

"Elisabeth came back home yesterday with her cheek bruised, I allowed her today to cover it for school because she requested it. You can understand, that Dan's actions are motivated by strong emotions and he stood in defense of his sister. I believe we should be focusing on the far more serious issue at hand"

"I do as well, of course. Ellie, tell me why didn't you report this situation to me or any teacher? We would help you right away" Mr. Thompson used a gentle voice with me I never heard from him before. He was obviously very concerned with allegations that came to light right now. 

"I'm sorry Mr. Thompson"

"My daughter just experienced loss of her mother, transfer to another environment was an additional shock. On top of that, the trauma Mr. Smith is directly responsible for. This is why I'm coming back from a police station where I was filling the report against him"

"I have to stop you right there Mr. Flynn," Brian's mother said firmly but her voice trembled "it's my son sitting here covered in blood"

The room's attention shifted at Brian who was staring at the floor. He was very pale and clearly, in shock at what was going on. But still, his wounds were cleaned by the nurse and there was absolutely no blood in sight.

"Boys fight all the time," Andrew said dismissively. "Since your son acquired no lasting damage all school can do is the suspension which of course won't happen considering how neglectful towards my daughter, a real victim here, the school staff was. Am I correct James?"

"Absolutely"

"What?! You both know each other! You took his side the mother he entered this room. The last thing that's missing is my son getting suspended for getting beaten up"

"There's no need to suspend your son ma'am," Mr. Thompson said.

"Damn right there's no need, truly you're insane Flynn, if you think you can-"

"Mrs. Smith I'm afraid you misunderstood me" the principal interrupted her "there's no reason to suspend your son because he's no longer the student of this school"

"I- what did you say?" She whispered horrified. Brian started crying. He was crying? I was shocked by the sight. And Dan... Dan smirked. "It's because he's sending that big donation to the school board, right? Is this the reason why it's happening?"

"That's rude to point fingers at people Mrs. Smith. I'm starting to think your son acquired bad manners after you but that's a thing to settle at family court not here"

"You-"

"I did not ask James to do this, it does not matter to me how the school handles this case otherwise why would court exist"

"You can't sue him, he's a child. He made a mistake!"

"Then we need to see if the court see this as something as simple as a mistake"

"Please let's settle this"

Wow, that woman quickly shifted from angry to scared, from demanding to begging.

But apparently, Andrew Flynn wasn't known for his compassionate heart.

"Time for settling your son's behavioral issues was before he started harassing my daughter. According to what my sons told me Ellie wasn't the first person he bullied but she will be the one he remembers for his whole life I will make sure of it. All I can do for you now is suggest you find a good lawyer, you're going to need"

"I can sue you as well! Your son is an athlete if he got-"

"You're welcome to try," Andrew said simply, completely relaxed. He stood up and looked at me and Dan with the look that suggested we should do the same.
________________

When we sat in the car I was really nervous about the whole situation.

"What if Dan really gets sued? He shouldn't be punishments it's my fault"

"What do you mean Ellie? What's your fault?"

"If I told you something is wrong earlier Dan wouldn't have to beat him up"

Dan laughed "I would have to beat him anyway"

"Be quiet Dan" Andrew said "Ellie I want to be clear about this. You should tell us for your own safety, but you didn't do anything wrong. Dan is responsible for his own actions. Speaking about responsible, why are you trying to defend that boy? He deserves whatever he gets"

"You're ruining his life for him being a jerk!"

"I ruined people's life for less and none of them hurt my child. I worked for years as a corporate attorney and none of the people I ruined made me this angry Elisabeth. Listen to me carefully. Never excuse people for mistreating you. If they hurt you don't forgive them easily. I will not let this go so drop this"

"But you hurt me by not contacting me for all of these years for not being a part of my life should I never forgive you?" I asked quietly.

"I want you to be angry at me for that as long as you need, it's for you to choose when to forgive me and if it's never then it's never, okay?" He said in an unnaturally soft voice.

"Mom said holding grudges is bad"

"Your mom was a gentle and kind-hearted person I saw her as nothing but an affair. She saw me as a person. When she told me she has a child I informed her I have a wife and three children, no intention to leave them or keep contact with her. I was selfish and I broke her heart. A choice I never properly regretted. I don't want you to let people hurt you and just take it. Never take it"

As we stopped I realized we're not home, we're at the underground parking.

"Dan, are you good enough to go on practice?"

"Good as new" Dan confirmed.

We dropped him off at the ice rink but we didn't go home straight away.

"Where are we?"

"At the mall. We're going shopping"
__________
Dear Readers,

Thank you for taking your time to read my story. I'm very grateful for every like and comment, they bring joy ❤️
I'm curious what you think about this chapter. Do you like how the story is progressing? If you have any concerns/requests/questions let me know.