Epilogue

As soon as we arrived at the hospital I could see Julien, Dan and even Max waiting at me. The relief I felt right now I couldn't compare to anything else. And soon we were swiped into a family hug.

Unfortunately, because of my head injury, I had to stay in the hospital for several days. During those days I had time to process what happened.

I almost died.

The result of this event I would have to deal with for a long time I think. But I wasn't alone.

In the following weeks, I have been showered with love and attention by everyone

Except Andrew.

With Andrew, it was back to square one.
He was never present.

Now that I knew avoidance is his favorite coping mechanism I could sort of understand why he decided to disappear from my life again.

He felt guilty.

But unlike Ellie who arrived at the house several months ago, I wouldn't just let it happen without a fight.

The information about Charles's real job didn't come out as a surprise to anyone at the house.

"Once I found a stack of fake IDs in his room I just assumed he's a criminal" Dan admitted. We all looked at him surprised.

"And you didn't tell anyone?" Max asked.

"Snitches get stitches"

"How's your head, Ellie?" Max changed the topic.

"Fine"

"And what is this?" Dan smirked and tried to take my notebook away.

"Nothing" I jumped out in the last second.

"C'mon show us! Is it your diary?" Max snatched it from me. I can't win with them, it's so frustrating.

"Give it back! Max!"

"What? Oh look, there's a list? Of crimes?"

"For dad?"

"I don't want him to feel guilty over my kidnapping" I muttered, my gaze stuck at the floor.

"But it is kind of his fault if he didn't try to catch that man-"

Seeing the look I was sending in his direction Dan decided to shut up. Wise choice. 

"You don't even know if he's going to be home today"

"I'm home. Julien said he wants something from me" Dad said just entering the living room.

"He's not here" Dan informed him.

"Then why did he call me?" Andrew asked, frustrated.

I took a deep breath then held my breath. Then approached him.

"Because of me. I wanted you to be home and he helped me. Here."

"What is this?" He asked, not looking at me.

"A list of your crimes," I said firmly.

"Excuse me?" He looked genuinely confused.

"Look here" I pointed at the point first and started reading all of them "Not spending time with me. Acting like a freaking dictator" I paused for the dramatic effect "Giving me rules I don't like. That's a big one" he looked at me like I just admitted I'm going to become interstellar traveler "Keeping me in the house when I wanted to have fun because you were overprotective asshole" oh, he didn't like that one "Calling me Elisabeth. I hate being called that. Overworking yourself and not spending time with me. Now let's see" I paused again "That will be all. But the key is not what's on the list. It's about what isn't there. Like mom's death"

"Ellie-"

"Let me finish. Mafia targeting me is not your fault. Or them kidnapping me. I'm trying to say that you can't hold yourself responsible for what that psycho did but you have plenty of flaws you alone are guilty of maybe focus on that instead of acting like things someone else did are on you. And feel guilty about the right reasons. If you ever blame yourself for bad things happening outside of your control just come to me so I can remind you how much you suck and I will be mean about it. Because I- I love you dad"

Oh my God, I'm an idiot how could I say something so cheesy? Cringe. I blushed and was about to escape to my room when I received a rare and precious hug from Andrew. This time he was hugging me really gently and it felt like he was the one who needed to be given reassurance.

And I didn't feel bad in those arms. It felt like home like I'm finally in the right place. This is when I realized: my heart is no longer empty. I have dad, Julien, Charles, Dan, and Max in it. Those are the people who make this house full and for the first time, I feel like it's mine.

THE END.

Anyways. I hope this is a satisfactory ending. If you harass me enough I might think about a sequel but the thing is - I have so many stories started and some  people are waiting for an update for a long time. So please consider checking them out to see if you like them. ❤️