Chapter 17

I didn't tell Max about my encounter at the coffee shop, I don't know maybe I just didn't trust him enough to not ruin my excitement.

I was ecstatic. Something like that happening to me of all people? What it's like to be a model? Won't I look stupid in the photos? Maybe I'm not fit for it, probably not but I can at least try if I was invited, right?

Well. I needed Andrew's permission I guess.

When we arrived home after the ice skating I received a new iPhone from Jacquline. Well, technically it was from Andrew but of course he didn't have time to give it to me in person. I realized he must have seen my old phone when we were on a shopping trip.

Since Andrew wasn't home I didn't had an opportunity to ask him but I knew the biggest chance to get what I want required to talking with Andrew face-to-face.

So instead of going to sleep, I waited. For some time now. Because unfortunately, Andrew was the type of person who would come back home from work on the ungodly hour just to sleep. The workaholic arrived, at 1:00 a.m.

I already knew I was in trouble for even waiting for him, seeing the disapproving look on his face.

"Why aren't you sleeping?"

"It's Saturday?"

"Didn't Jacquline tell you about your bedtime?" His eyebrows raised as he waited for my response.

"I'm 16 how is having bedtime make any sense? Wait, no, it makes perfect sense. I love bedtimes. I really am a fan, it's just that I had to ask you something" I started rambling and shifted from angry to nice and sweet.

Andrew's sharp gaze was intimidating but I couldn't just say sorry and run away. I had a mission.

"What is it that you want from me, Elisabeth?" I've got Andrew's full attention now as he folded his arms on his chest I realized that it might not be easy to convince him. If I told my mom the same news we would be both jumping in joy and she would probably buy a cake or something to celebrate. Not Andrew. Andrew was from a different planet.

"I want you to call this person" I handed him the business card from the scout. "She's from a modeling agency and she told me I can model for them" He took the card from my hand and put it in the pocket of his black pants, he didn't even look at it.

"You need parental consent, which you're not getting. Go to sleep"

Just like that?

He was leaving, walking away.

I had to act.

"Wait! It's really important to me I really want to try" I said desperately trying to figure out what can I say to change his mind.

"And I really want you to focus on school and getting your grades up. You don't need a job especially not a job like that" the last words were said with clear distaste.

I wanted to ask what he means by saying a job like that but I realized this could result in another argument.

"But what if I promise I'm going to really try at school?"

"You're going to really try at school anyway" Andrew assured me in a confident voice. This man was impossible.

"Mom would be happy for me, we would celebrate someone noticing me like that," I complained, quickly wiping unwanted tear away.

Andrew stopped to look at me with his cold eyes.

"I can agree to call them and see what they have to propose"

I wiped my tears and look at him hopefully then asked.

"Really?"

"I'm suggesting to not get your hopes up. I still don't like this idea"

I nodded obediently and stopped myself from jumping with joy. I was ready to leave when he stopped me "I'm not like your mother Elisabeth I'm sorry but things will be different in this house. I won't always fulfill your wishes even if you cry"

"I understand," I said automatically, already tired. It was really difficult to like Andrew, even when he was doing something nice it had to end up in scolding.

I have spent the rest of the day in my room, I have to spend an hour on the phone with Jenny telling her about what happened at the coffee shop.

Recently I didn't feel like eating at all because so many things have changed in my life. Mom's death, bullying, empty house all kept me permanently sad.

But then Max and Dan came back and things started to change. I mean next week will be the first week of school without Brian, they really kicked him out. I was about to start fresh. The ice skating was scary but fun and then a cherry on top - Ruth. Maybe there was a chance even if slim that I will become a model and that was so surrealistically awesome. I couldn't believe something like that would ever happen to me of all people.

This is why my appetite came back. The fridge in this house was always stocked from top to bottom so I had an idea to make a simple salad with classic vinaigrette I've found a bold recipe where mozzarella slices were mixed with strawberries. It was a challenge, it was different I liked it.

As I came down the stairs I realized someone is already there it was twins Dan and Max and they were talking and because I was the permanently shy person that made me pause. I stopped unsure if it's wise to interrupt them I should've just gone back to my room and wait.

"I told you it won't be that bad, she's cute"

"Don't make me laugh. She's a product of our father's cheating, what right does that girl has to live in our mother's house? I said to father that she will be nothing but trouble and I was right, look at the situation with Smith, and now we have to babysit her"

"You really are a dick Max"

"So?"

But I didn't hear Dan's response. I turned around and came back to my room. I wasn't hungry anymore.

He didn't want me.

Max didn't want me.

I was nothing but unwelcome guest. I guess it's only a matter of time till Charles, Andrew and Dan will understand the points Max was making.

Till they give me away.
———————
Dear Readers ❤️

I'm sorry for sad moment at the end. I hope you like today's chapter. Let me know what you think. I appreciate your support a lot. ❤️