Chapter 41

SATURDAY

Setting up a tent was a competition. Max made the team with Dan and I was with Charles.

It was Charles who was the most experienced with camping so one could think it's a win for me, it wasn't.

He was sitting down on a wooden log from time to time giving me orders while I was struggling with the tent. What a gentleman. I was doing everything which slowed down the whole process to an enormous extent.

On the other hand, it's not like our opponents were competitive. Max was lying on the ground reading a book and completely ignoring Dan's complaints.

On the other hand Dan I think was only working slower so I don't feel bad, I saw him checking several times what my progress is and slowing down if he was too much ahead of me, instead of feeling offended that he tries to let me win I felt warmth spreading all over my chest, it was sweet. Slightly irritating but sweet.

When Dan "accidentally" almost dropped a tent pole on Max's face they started fighting using the poles as their swords. This was my only chance to win the competition of "who will fold up a tent first" as they were busy with something else but I was busy wondering what their mental age really is. 5? 6?

"Isn't nature relaxing?" Charles asked in the air as I was struggling with the tent pegs. I can't lie, it crossed my mind to throw one at him.

"No" I responded through my teeth.

"Hey, Ellie you look like you need to relax a bit"

"You don't say. I fucking hate everything about this" I was referring to our trip.

"Language"

"Sorry," I said automatically knowing I don't want to push Charles, especially not now.

"Since those knuckleheads are fighting. I can show you one move or two" He winked at me.

"You want to fight me, Charles? I don't know, it would be sad if I made you cry" My warning was of ironic nature. My head was barely reaching Charles's shoulders and he actually looked like someone who regularly goes to the gym. Unlike me.

"Woah, okay. Just be gentle, I'm very delicate" he played along and I rolled my eyes at this ridiculousness.

"I will go unpack or something" I muttered but I was stopped.

"Why? Don't you wanna learn?" He sounded to be genuinely confused.

"If anyone ever attacks me I will just run away screaming. It's not like I have a chance to beat anyone up so I don't see what's the point of learning" I shrugged my shoulders.

"Very good" he patted my head as if I was a domestic pet which annoyed me immensely "That's what you should do. Run when you can. But there is a situation when there's no escape road until you make it for yourself"

"How poetic. In a real-life situation I will run or die" I said drily.

"Bad Ellie" He scolded and out of nowhere, he touched my nose with his finger. "You're not allowed to say the d-word"

"Come closer," he said, and to stress his point he moved his finger up and down.

"Ouch!" I yelled and jumped out. Did he just nose-booped me? That asshole.

"What's the point of fighting?" I asked frustrated "I can't beat you anyway"

"Aren't you, Ellie, a ray of sunshine?"

"Positivity is not my thing" I crossed arms over my chest.

"That's something we will need to work on"