Chapter 25

Today was Friday and I had my first sleepover at Jenny's place.

Jenny's mom picked us up from school soon we were at the house that looked very much like a big version of a traditional American house you get to see in the movies.

We were in our pajamas ready to go to sleep when we heard someone entering the door.

"Margaret why aren't you answering your phone?!" A drunk male voice yelled.

"Shit not today" Jenny moaned and her face in her hands.

"Hey Jen, are you okay"

"I'm sorry Ellie dad recently comes back home in bad shape"

We could hear the muffled cries of Jenny mom's and Jenny started crying too. I tried to remain calm but I was nervous. What did Jenny mean by "bad shape"?

Noises downstairs started to become louder and scarier.

"Maybe we need to call the police" I whispered afraid of what will happen if this man opens the door of Jenny's room and sees us here.

"He's a police chief. They won't come. We tried. He wasn't always like that. Ever since the investigation of his office started months he's just losing it. I'm sorry I shouldn't invite you here" Jenny whispered with tears in her eyes.

I hugged her tightly not knowing what to say. "Don't apologize silly that's not your fault"

The yells downstairs were more and more intense, at some point we heard a loud thud as if something... no someone's body crashed into something. This is when a Jenny jumped out of my embrace and ran out of the room.

I went after her just to see a very unpleasant image in the hallway.

"Dad stop it"

Jenny yelled and grabbed him by the back of his polo shirt to drag him away from his wife. He quickly reacted to the attack by turning around and charging towards his daughter as
Margaret wasn't able to get up quickly enough to stand up and stop him, instead of for some reason my body moved on my own and I was in front of my friend just to be pushed out of the way. I fell on the ground when pieces of crushed glass were lying and they were painfully now stuck in my left hand and knee.

This stopped him from advancing towards his daughter.

"Who is she," he asked in a more sober voice.

"Ellie is my friend from school," Jenny said through her tears she was kneeling next to me assessing the damage that was done to me. Something shifted in that man's eyes when he heard that. There was fear and hate in them so strong it left me breathless.

"Do you know this is a daughter of that bastard who opened a case against me? He's about to slap me with a life sentence. Lock me in jail forever"

"So what? Who would like to have a father like you?"

Pain in his eyes, but he didn't attack again. He left the house which every woman present greeted with relief.

"Ellie let's clean these wounds, you should call your father," Margaret said softly. She wiped her tears and stood up but almost fell again being off balance. She hit her head hard.

"Mom, we need to go to the hospital"

"No, baby I'm okay. It's all good"

She wouldn't hear any of that but asked me "Ellie do you want me to take care of it or wait for you dad?"

"Please take it out," I said and she nodded. It wasn't stuck too deep or so I hoped but soon I learned there was quite a lot of blood spilling out of my wounds.

I sighted. I didn't want Andrew to know about this situation, again I'm in the center of trouble for him, ever since arrived at his house I'm a bother and he seems like a person busy with locking up criminals.

But at the same time but it would help Jenny and Margaret. Andrew was scary as fuck, perhaps his scariness would become useful once.

He picked up after the first signal.

"Yes?"

"Dad, can you pick me up?" I asked through sobs.

I didn't know that I was crying until I opened my mouth and I didn't plan to call him "dad" I also had no energy to think about this now.

His voice was calm and leveled enough to force me to answer his questions like "am I safe" or "do I need medical attention" when I sloppily explained what happened he asked.

"Has Jenny's mother called the police?"

"No"

"Tell her to do it"

"But Mr. Greene is police chief"

"That's irrelevant Ellie, please give Jenny's mother to the phone"

Margaret took the phone with trembling hands and said probably being under instructions she took several steps away from me and Jen and started talking to Andrew. When they were finished she was making another call this time to the police.

Minutes later we all looked surprised to see Russell at the front door. He couldn't possibly be far from the front porch. He kneeled near me and assessed the damage.

"Yes. She's fine but the wound on her knee still bleeds. I will take care of it. I understand."

Finally, police arrived, and right after they showed up Andrew did as well. He wasn't happy, as you might have expected. I actually never saw him upset to this level. I wouldn't be surprised if his icy stare summoned a snowfall.