Chapter 42

SUNDAY

"We're going hunting as soon as you're done" Charles announced at the ungodly morning hour as we were eating breakfast. After this announcement, my sandwich with tomato was no longer appealing. I've lost my appetite. However, testing Charles was the last thing I needed so I finished my damn breakfast.

"Relax Ellie, we will be shooting at birds and we won't be eating that meat"

"Somehow that doesn't relax me at all. Do we really need to shoot animals?"

"At least we can make an attempt"

No way. I'm not doing that.

🔆🔆🔆

After several hours of hiking, I had to ask.

"Don't you ever get tired?"

He sent me a blank stare in response. Apparently not.

We were walking for several hours it was twice as tiring to listen to twins' arguments about their skating techniques than actual walking.

And then a gun was handed to me. I looked with disgust at the weapon.

"I'm not shooting innocent creatures for fun," I said taking a step back from Charles.

"C'mon Ellie, give it a chance"

"Charles she doesn't need to shoot if she doesn't want to," Dan said.

Okay, Dan was my favorite.

"Shush" Charles said not sparing a glance to his brother.

"Don't shush me" Dan muttered, annoyed.

"Ellie, at least one shot at the target and that's it, after that, I'm leaving you alone. Okay?"

"Fine" I sighed resigned at Charles's stubbornness.

"I need you to focus. Several things you need to remember. Always check if the handgun is loaded. Whenever you handle it, make sure the barrel is pointed at the ground. Do not shoot Dan no matter how annoying he is"

"Hey!"

"When you're holding the gun keep your fingers curled below the trigger guard. Don't hold too tightly... good. Your non-dominant hand should be held underneath the handgun. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart, lean forward slightly with your knees bent, relax, pull the trigger when you're ready"

"So never"

"Ellie."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"Okay wait. Stop. I should mention it never shoot with your eyes closed"

It took me a moment to realize that there's no way I'm going to pull the trigger. I dropped the gun on the ground and wrapped my arms around Charles like a koala. My last resort.

"What?" Charles asked his voice had a hint of resignation.

"Please I really don't want to do this" I whined.

"Fine, you don't have to" he sighed and hugged me.  "But you're not getting the
wilderness survival merit badge from me"

"Sucker" Max mocked.

"Shut up, Maxie"

"No one wants your stupid imaginary badge anyway," Dan said after shooting the third bird in a row. Poor creatures.