Chapter 44

I wish I could do something, anything. But I wasn't exactly the action-movie heroine.

I didn't even know the name of the man who wants to maim me or murder me or both. I was more afraid of what is going to happen after 12 hours than 24. I was afraid of the pain I will experience.

I was lying on the cold cement floor. My hands and legs were tied. Getting away from the bonds didn't make sense because I was under the watchful gaze of Derek and the man who was the reason for all of this happening. But I tried anyway. I tried to slip my wrists from the plastic bonds. I knew I will succeed if I had time. 12 hours to be exact.

Why was I doing it? I'm not sure. Maybe I just wanted to regain a small sense of control even if in the end it wouldn't change anything. I want my arms free. If that's the only body part that I can control I want to cover myself with them when he starts to shoot at me. A silly shield. Absolutely useless but that's the only thing I can think of - how to minimize the damage. I didn't have any smart idea. I only had this.

🌑🌑🌑

"One more hour and we need to get to work"

To work. By that, he means shooting at me. The time was passing slowly for me and by accompanied by the biggest headache I had in my life. The coldness of the floor made me shiver.

"H-how d-do you k-now I'm not ggoing to bleed out," I asked breathlessly. I could barely speak with fear having a paralyzing grip on me.

"Honestly kid, bleeding out will be the last of your concerns"

"Please, please let me go. Don't do this" I had to try, I know he wouldn't. I know he didn't see me as anything else than the means for reaching his goal but I had to. I had to say this. "Please if you could just le-"

"Derek, shut her up I'm starting to have a migraine over her screeching"

Oh no my kidnapper was getting closer. I tried to back away remembering I need to act like my hands are still tied behind my back.

The man sighed and came closer and then I noticed something. There was a gun under his belt.

Gun. Under. His. Belt.

And my hands were free.

If I just wait for the right moment. Then what?

When he leaned towards me it was like watching a movie in slow motion. I had a split second to get that gun. And my body did, my hand reached for it. I wasn't thinking, I just did it.

Things happened very quickly from now on because the moment I had the gun in my hands I could see the man is trying to grab it and take it back. So I did the only thing that could come to my mind.

I shot him.

My ears were ringing from the gunshot. I watched horrified at the consequences of my choice. The man was bleeding from his stomach. A lot of blood was pouring out of him.

Oh my God.

I wanted to drop the gun I wanted to go get help but his boss was already pointing a gun directly at me. Just like I was pointing the gun at him right now.

There was nothing in his eyes. No concern over his dying employee.

"Now, that wasn't planned, Elisabeth" he scolded me gently "How about you drop that thing before you hurt yourself"

"So you can hurt me instead?" I asked in a hoarse voice and took a step back. I was trembling and he... he smirked at me.

"Child, you think you're quick enough to shoot me first?"