~23~

                                    ~23~

————————————————————

IT TURNS out that, after sleeping in the same bed as someone, it becomes hard to stop.

No words were spoken between the pair. An assumption really. A hope. A need. Danielle crawled onto the mattress, too small to fit both their bodies comfortably, Bucky's foot on the floor, Dani practically lying on top of him. The more nights that passed, the closer she got to him, eventually so that both of the super soldiers legs would squeeze onto the mattress.

They barely left the room for the next two days, once or twice every twenty four hours, to rid themselves of the stale ship smell. Both times, during the night, they were aware the man from the previous encounter wouldn't return, not after having seen The Winter Soldier.

They found tranquility watching the movements of the water. Their relationship, though unknown territory, is easy for both of them. Neither need many words, conversation, they're comfortable in silence. An understanding.

Though, Danielle finds herself missing his touch when they pull away in the mornings. She finds her eyes flitting to meet his when their gaze breaks for too long. She finds herself longing for the safety of his company.

And it scares her.

Bucky realises the feeling sparks something in him, an old emotion, something Sergeant Barnes would have felt. He feels it brings him a little peace, something he's beginning to understand.

She makes him feel himself.

Whoever that is.

"Where are you going?"

She almost smirks at his raspy morning voice, his eyes groggily peeling open, his brows furrowing as he searches for her. She narrows her eyes slightly, glancing back at him. "For a shower," she replies matter of factly.

The corner of his mouth tugs upwards. "You mean you're going to pour a bucket of cold water over your head?" he teases knowingly.

She rolls her eyes. "Smartass," she snipes. She straightens, grinning. "I'm off to the washroom to powder my cheeks."

He frowns, shaking his head at her random jokes. He reaches forward and she's too slow to slip from his grasp. "I'm cold now," he remarks, a half hearted joke.

She can't help the colour that flushes to her cheeks at his request. Mockingly, she tosses her head back. "Then get a blanket from my bed."

He purses his lips sheepishly. He hums, nodding his head, though his eyebrow cocks up slightly. He pauses. "Or you could just come back."

Her eyebrows raise at his openness. "You're sleeping better, I see."

He smirks, pulling her towards him by her forearms. She studies her skeptically. "You're a tough one to figure out, Barnes," she mumbles quietly.

He tilts his head, his deep blue eyes bearing into hers. "You're not exactly an open book either, Doll."

She inclines her head fractionally, even though she had slept by his side, his hold on her arms causes her heart to flutter. She mentally face-palms. Pull it together, Dani.

When she glances back to him, his eyes are no longer on hers. They trace the outline of her face slowly, understanding her features, engraving them in his mind. His memory is such a fragile and incomprehensible thing to him, she can't be another victim to it.

He releases one of her arms, breathing a soft sigh. She stands patiently, anticipation building within her. Her breathing stutters as he reaches his thumb to her chin, carefully pulling it down causing her lips to part fractionally. His eyes linger on them before flickering back to hers. "Dani," he mumbles gently. She blinks. "If you're not ready-"

Her eyes soften, reaching across and tucking a strand of his hair behind his ear. She smiles slightly, silently assuring him she is.

He doesn't waste another moment, suddenly becoming overwhelmed with the need to touch her, to hold her. He leans up to meet her, his large hands cupping her face as their lips meet, gently at first.

For a moment, neither move, savouring the initial, the contact after so long.

But then he can't take it.

And neither can she.

He moves his metal arm around her waist and pulls her down on top of him. She reaches down her hand as their lips begin to move in sync with one another in a more desperate manner, to save her weight from crashing on top of him.

He grips her hip before he flips her over swiftly until she lies beneath him. He pulls away from her, resulting in her uttering an involuntary huff of frustration. Her frustration doesn't last when his mouth moves to her neck, his stubble brushing against her jaw. He plants kisses in a line down to the collar of her t shirt.

She entwines her fingers in his long hair, allowing him to continue until she impatiently pulls him back to her mouth.

She grips the bottom of his shirt. She doesn't want to push him, only suggesting. But for once, he isn't pushing himself.

This feels right.

He wastes no time in tugging it over his head with one hand, only parting with her for a second. His fingers reach for the collar of her tee and he pulls back an inch from her lips, his eyes searching hers.

"Dani?" he asks permission, breathless

She nods, her chest rising and falling heavily and her face flushed. He guides the top over her head, his eyes raking down her body for a split second before he returns his lips to hers. He runs his hand over her exposed skin of her ribs softly, comfortingly.

They stay in this position for a while, appreciating the familiarity of each other, the long awaited physical contact.

His hand moves lower and he pulls away again.

"Stop doing that!" She hisses. He gives her an amused glance before she realises what he is gesturing to. She swallows, a passing expression of uncertainty.

"I'll be gentle, if you want to stop, you tell me OK?" he whispers, his eyes dipping to meet hers.

"We don't have to, Doll," he finishes, planting a soft kiss to her forehead after she doesn't respond.

The rising and falling of her chest has slowed. Her eyes glance away while she tries to figure her response out. She nods, inhaling shakily. "I want to," she assures, lacing her fingers through his.

"OK, well I haven't done this in a while and i'm not sure if-"

"Bucky," she breathes an amused huff, causing him to grin slightly. She shakes her head, lovingly staring up at him. "It's OK. Whatever happens. It's OK. I just want to be here with you."

He smiles slightly at her words, inclining his head. "You're sure you're OK?"

He cranes his neck down, moulding his mouth against hers again. "Mhm," she murmurs, her answer muffled against his lips.

"We're OK," she breathes, both their eyes still flickered shut.

And for once, it isn't a lie.

•••••

Well, we finally got here.... please let me know your thoughts :)))) i hope you're all enjoying this! There's one more part left in this part and then we're moving onto civil war.