~52~

hello lovelies, sorry for the wait, comment, vote, let me know your thoughts! once again thank you for reading - I honestly never expected so many people to like or read this book and every vote and comment and message really makes my day. I love them all, so thank you x

~52~

"WAS I CRAZY TO THINK WE WERE FINISHED WITH THIS?" the brunette murmurs, the red flashing lights of the building illuminating her petite features.

"I told you, you didn't have to come," the super soldier responds, no trace of judgement in his voice, only reassurance.

She tilts her head, keeping their pace as they pass through the barriers. "I'm not sure either of us know who we are without it."

"I'm sure Raynor would love to hear that," he responds sarcastically after a beat.

She blows an amused breath. He opens his mouth to speak when Sam stares over the comms, 'I called in some backup'.

"Little faith, Wilson?" she remarks dryly.

"Warm welcome," an equally dry voice says from behind them.

"Sharon?" Bucky's jaw clenches. "Thanks for coming."

She shrugs nonchalantly, sporting a stiff expression, "Pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be."

The three break into a walk side by side, a familiar sense of solemness and concentration settling in her stomach as her eyes flit across the panic in the streets.

People scatter, the sirens and flashing lights overwhelming them as they call out for friends or loved ones. She wonders what it would be like to be on that side of the fight. Innocent, frightened and nonsensical.

She's not sure she prefers her side.

"What's your side looking like?"

"Everything's quiet," Bucky responds stoically, an unimpressed expression wrinkling his features. She mirrors it.

It is quiet.

"They're not trying to keep people in - they're trying to get them out - we need to keep everyone inside."

They move simultaneously, picking up pace. The metal detector beeps and Bucky stops suddenly glancing back. Dani smirks a little. "It is kind of ironic."

Sharon dips away from the pair as they jog up the stairs. "A beach would be nice," her fiancé contemplates, his head tilted to the side and a frustrated expression - one that an elderly man may sport and she smirks a little at that.

She hums, "And a cocktail."

"And maybe a cruise - in that red bikini-"

"Mr Barnes." The female, wearing. a pencil skirt, steps in front of them, offering him a phone. "It's for you."

His lips press in a thin line, his eyes flickering to his fiancé. She exhales briefly, pressing a quick peck to his jaw. "I'll see you later, James."