~29~

~29~

"I hate you for what you did,
And I miss you like a little kid,
I faked it every time, but that's alright
I can hardly feel anything, I hardly feel anything at all."

<'Motion Sickness'> Phoebe Bridgers

———————————————————————

WHAT SHE wasn't expecting was the lights to shut off, followed by the commence of a haunting siren.

Her head snaps up, her face contorting as she scans the room. The man in front of them stands up, his expressionless face lowering into a determined one.

"What the hell is this?" Bucky's voice is raised slightly, anger from his newfound information about his friend, or girlfriend, whatever she is - was? - and his capture, bubbling into his tone.

The man edges around the desk, pulling a red book, decorated with a black, chipped red star, from the folder. "Why don't we discuss your home? Not Romania. Certainly not Brooklyn, no. I mean, your real home." He steps toward Bucky's box

Danielle feels her stomach drop, a string of words being delivered loudly, echoing through the room.

"Желание." (Longing)

"No." Bucky's head snaps backwards his eyes shutting and for the first time, Dani makes out blatant fear enveloping his features.

"Ржавый." (Rusted)

"Stop," he croaks.

"What's happening?" she asks quietly, unsure of who she expects to answer.

"Семнадцать." (Seventeen)

Her eyes fall to his metal arm, shaking violently within its restraint. She glances back to his face. "Stop," he growls again.

"Рассвет." (Daybreak) The man's stare lifts briefly to see the restrained man.

Danielle stiffens, her eyes widening as he lets out a strangled cry. His metal fist clenches, rendering a screeching sound as he rips free of his binds.

"Buck," she calls desperately, pulling against her own cuffs. "Look at me!"

"Печь." (Furnace)

"Bucky, please, listen to me, you're OK. You're stronger than this." Her voice is pained as she calls out to him. His face is changing. It's not careful like it usually is. There's pure anger seeping into it.

"Девять." (Nine)

His fist makes contact with the glass.

"Stop!" she turns to the man, tears glazing her eyes.

"Добросердечный." (Benign)

Another punch. Harder this time.

"Возвращение на Родину." (Homecoming)

Her mouth is dry.

"Один." (One)

She throws herself forward jerking frantically.

"Грузовой вагон." (Freight car)

The glass breaks.

The chaos ceases.