~47~

~47~

———————————————————————

"I DON'T think this is a good idea," she remarks solemnly, dread filling her stomach.

Bucky chews his at his lip, his brows pulled together. He adjusts his leather gloves over his hands. "Have you a better one?" he asks softly, causing her expressions to fill with hopelessness. He angled his head, glancing to his left as he finished with an exhale, "I need you to trust me, doll."

She gives him a pointed glance. "I do. I think I've proved that." He inclines his head and she straightens. "Let me talk to him."

Sam's eyes snap to meet hers, one brow cocked. "No way." She only hums in response. But her fiancé recognises that look. She's made up her mind. "Dani, no," Sam states.

"Dani, yes," she responds simply. His jaw clenches and she waved her hand.

Her eyes travel up to Bucky. He stares at her for a moment before murmuring softly. "I don't want you to do this."

She brushes her small hand over his forearm. "I know."

"But I trust you," he finishes, guilt washing over his blue eyes. She offers him a grateful smile.

"Ten minutes. If you're not out here in ten minutes I'm coming in."

She tugs the corner of her lips up, flashing him a small smirk. "Yes, sir."

••••

She pulls her shoulders back, raising her chin. as the security guard opens the door. She can do this. She just needs to tap into a part of herself she hasn't touched in quite some time.

She steps through the final door, the cold hallways reminding her of a place she'd wished to forget. She pushes the thought away.

She angles her head, her eyes lazy and unbothered as the take in the small cell beyond the glass. She relishes the silence, patient, before she allows herself to meet Zemo. He sits in front of her, the darkness shading his face, making his features more severe. She blinks slowly.

"Solovey," he rasps. His voice is rough from hours of silence, his accent stronger than she had thought.

She swallows back the bile that threatens to rise in her throat at the word - the name - she hadn't heard in so long. The name associated with the deaths of so many. A killer. A weapon.

Again, she simply blinks, her eyes lashes fluttering, seemingly unbothered. The prisoner stands, slowly, the dim light finally illuminating his face. She takes a moment to study his thin facial structure. He looks so... human.

A man who had torn the Avengers apart. The man who had outwitted earths mightiest heroes, was just that.

A man.

"She hasn't made an appearance in quite some time," she responds evenly, with a twitch of her lips. "You're information must be out dated. I guess that's to be expected, living in a cell and all."

A flicker of a smile flashes over his lips. "I know," he answers, exhaling through his nose. "I just wanted to see how the new you reacts to old words."

She keeps her stare even, regardless of the discomfort bubbling through her. Zemo surveys her, as though she's prey, stepping an inch away from the glass, peering down at her. "She is still in there somewhere. I see it."

Her head shakes only slightly. "Sorry to disappoint."

He presses his lips together. "Disappoint?" he murmurs. "No. She could never."

She readjusts her footing. This isn't his conversation. This is hers. She tilts her chin up. "Someone recreated the super soldier serum."
His head snaps up. "I need to find out who."

His eyes narrow. He lifts his finger, pointing at her in realisation. "You are assuming HYDRA has something to do with this which is why you came to me."

She raises an eyebrow. "Don't they always?"

Amusement flashes in his eyes. He hums. "Which means you are desperate."

A muscle in her jaw flickers. "Out of the two of us, which one is in a cell?" she questions solemnly. She nods. "So, I'd say that makes both of us desperate."

He juts his bottom lip out. "Lucky for you, I know where to begin."

She smiles sweetly, one that doesn't meet her eyes. "Keep talking."

••••

"How did it go?"

She raises her eyebrows, sharing a quick glance amongst the two men staring intently at her. She tilts her head. "I got what we need."

"Are you inclined to share anything with us?" Sam drawls impatiently.

She narrows her eyes sheepishly, pushing past them. "All will be revealed."

Sam releases an audibly frustrated exhale, his eyes wide and impatient. He whirls toward the super soldier who hasn't moved since they arrived in the small warehouse. "Aren't you going to say anything?"

Bucky blinks, his expression unwavering. A scrutinising and unmoving frown is paved onto his face, peering up under his brows at his fiancé who returns his stare challengingly. A muscle in his jaw twitches absently, his frame still leaning against the wall, his broad arms crossed. "No," he answers plainly.

"And why the hell not?" Sam snaps, only to be ignored by both, who still stare blankly at each other. "Did anyone ever tell you guys you have a staring problem?"

"Multiple times," they answer in unison.

"She's done something that she shouldn't have done," Bucky explains quietly, his eyes not leaving Danielle.

Her eyelids drop in feigned boredom, "I've done what needed to be done."

"You're not proud of it," he challenges.

"I don't regret it."

"Oh good, I was starting to think you were having second thoughts!"

The trio's heads snap simultaneously to the figure in the doorway. Bucky's eyes widen, while Sam looks like he might pass out. He shakes his head violently, in denial.

"I told you to wait outside," she states, irritation lacing her tone.

Zemo shrugs, ambling towards them. "This is far too entertaining."

"Dani," Bucky begins.

"No, hang on. I don't like the guy anymore than you two, but we don't have a lot of other options." Her brows furrowed as she studies them, exhaling before she finishes, "It's not for long."

Bucky stares at the ground for a few moments, cogs slowly turning in his head, before he dips his chin, nodding only slightly. She resists a sigh of relief. Her eyes shift to Sam. He runs a hand over his head absently, his own eyes fixed on Zemo a few feet away. His jaw clenches and he straightens. "You don't do anything without our say so. You don't take a step unless you ask one of us. Or you'll be going back to prison in a coffin, clear?"

Zemo tilts his head back slightly, dimples showing as he responds with a sly smile. "Crystal."

He sighs, glancing back to the pair beside him. "How is it any time I do anything with you two it's illegal?"

"I wouldn't exactly say we have good luck, Sam," she answers dryly.

She follows Bucky's narrowed gaze over to Zemo, standing awkwardly across from them. Bucky raises an eyebrow. "I'm driving."

"I call shotgun," Sam interrupts.

Her brows pull together, but he cuts across her. "You brought him here."

She rolls her eyes. "Fine." She looks to Zemo. "Looks like we're in the back, little man."