Epilogue 1

~57~

8 MONTHS LATER.

"Are you almost ready, Dani?"

Ah, the question he knows the answer to. It's always almost and never is. For an assassin, she's incredibly slow at getting ready. Not to say he minds, because credit to him, he doesn't. In fact he finds himself smiling a little as he studies her furrowed brows as she struggles to tie a necklace behind her neck.

He blows an amused breath, lazily standing up and stepping over to take it from her. She drops her hands to her lap with a quiet slap, followed by a sigh. His lips press into a thin line and he bends down a little, pulling her hair behind her ears gently. "What's eating at you, honey?" he asks breathily, his playful demeanour being replaced by a soft concern.

"I'm sorry I'm so slow," she responds quietly. Her throat bobs, her eyes flickering to the mirror in front of her. "I'm not good at this. Makeup, outfits, stuff that I should be good at. I didn't have time to practice while I was..."

She trails off a little but he knows what the end of her sentence is. "Dani," he murmurs. "Look at me."

Slowly, her eyes meet his in the reflection. He dips his chin, his face alongside hers. "You're beautiful."

"You're biased."

"Maybe. But I'm right. You couldn't be anything other than beautiful - except late."

She laughs and he smiles. That's usually how it went. That sound he hopes will follow him to heaven, if he manages to find his way there.

She turns around, using his shoulders to pull herself onto her feet. "I'm ready."

                                     •••

"You're sure you're OK, with this?" Dani peers over at the super soldier, nothing but sincerity laced in her tone and gaze.

The corner of his mouth tugs up, "You don't have to keep asking that, Doll."

"I know that. But I also know you don't particularly like crowds. And I love that you're doing this for me, but I don't want you to be uncomfortable, Bucky." She reaches over to the drivers' seat and clasps his hand in one of hers.

He's gotten better. So much better. But she doesn't want to push it. She wants him to be comfortable.

"I'm not, Dani. I promise you."

She rubs her thumb over his hand before she nods, both of them getting out of the car only to resume their hand holding.

Once she would have rolled her eyes at couples holding hands in public. She's a hypocrite. But some small part of her still has a tiny fear that he might disappear - turn to dust - be arrested. Nothing that hasn't happened before.

"This could be a lot, James. My family, they're, well, they're a lot," she tells him as they walk up towards the house. The chatter of the small crowd is heard from the back garden.

"Steve's mom loved me."

They make their way through the house into the garden. It's her parents' 30th wedding anniversary and this gathering, family only, aunts and uncles and cousins, was Nathan's idea. Truth be told, Dani thinks he is trying to impress his new girlfriend - whom she hasn't had the pleasure of meeting, yet.

She glances back when she doesn't find Bucky by her side. She spots him accepting a beer from Greg's hand, the pair laughing already. She smiles. She was thankful Greg had taken it upon himself to make sure Bucky was welcome. It meant a lot to her.