~30~

vote and comment, drop some feedback, thank you for your support and happy reading xxx

  ~30~

"You tried to drown your sorrows,
You shouldn't have taught them how to swim,
And now you are right back where you began."

<'I am California'> John Craige, Gregory Alan Isakov.

———————————————————————

SHE JERKS upwards, her head spinning as it hangs between her bent knees. Her heaving gasps turn into coughs, her eyes squeezing shut as she feels water splatter into her hands cupped beneath her mouth.

A hand rests on her shoulder until eventually, her breathing settles. She hates the hope that's diminished as she glances up to find Steve.

Not Bucky.

  "You OK?" he asks, briefly glancing down to her.

She hums, nodding, holding up a hand which he uses to pull her to her feet. "How long was I out?" her eyes flicker from Steve to Sam.

"Few hours," Sam answers, walking back from the window he stood at.

She takes a moment, the days events nearly causing her to be dizzy. "Anyone care to tell me what just happened?" her head tilts, her brows pulling together as she rests her back against the wall.

"We'll fill you in on the way."

She uses both hands to pull her hair out of her face. "You know, I can deal with the ripped shorts, but please tell me someone brought a bra," she raises her eyebrows expectantly, deliberately looking to Steve, whose cheeks flush slightly.

                                  •••••••

She takes her time changing into the spare clothes she was provided with, realising the aches and pains her body had obtained during the day.

She hates the nerves building within her at the thought of having to face him. She composes herself, raking her fingers through her hair. She walks back to the trio.

Her eyes fall on Bucky who has pushed himself to his feet.

"We should go, they're looking for us, plus that guy is probably on a plane to Siberia as we speak." Steve's arms are folded over his broad chest, his face darkened slightly with dirt.

She inclines her head, acknowledging his words. The men make their way towards the door and she swallows. "James," she calls quietly, stepping toward him.

He halts, turning to glimpse her. A hollow pit forms at the bottom of her stomach. His eyes are no long soft and gentle like they usually were when they set upon her, they were cold and detached. His eyebrow raises very slightly, his eyes flickering up from the floor, impatient.

She clears her throat, unable to keep his gaze. She blinks. "I think we should talk," she suggests, her voice weaker than she'd like. She tucks a of strand of hair behind her ear. She watches his jaw visibly clench, his chest heaving silently.

"We'll give you a minute," Steve nods, waving at Sam.

"We should go," Bucky repeats.

"We'll be in the car," Sam cuts across him, his eyes glancing to Dani's for a moment.

Steve sends a pointed look towards Bucky. She realises that if Natasha knew about her time in HYDRA he probably did too.

A silence falls between them. Danielle's arms fold across her chest defensively. She swallows uneasily. "What he said," she begins carefully, "About me, working there willingly."