~44~

here it is, finally. please vote and comment. Thank you all so much x

 Thank you all so much x

~44~

——————————————————————

SHE DIDN'T have the heart to argue with him and tell him not to go and find Sam. Truthfully, she wanted to know what was running through the man's head when he gave it up.

"How are we gonna do this?" she asks lowly, falling into step beside him.

His pace lengthens as he heads towards the stairs, Sam just becoming visible as he descends. Bucky's expression shifts as he tilts his head. "Why'd you give up the shield?" he calls.

Danielle mentally facepalms. Sam glances over, shaking his head. "Good to see you too, Buck." His eyes flicker towards Dani. "You come here to lecture me too?"

He moves past the pair, Bucky tailing at his heels. Dani opens her mouth to speak but Bucky continues. "This is wrong."

"Hey, hey," he snaps, "I'm working alright? So all this outrage? It's gonna have to wait."

"You didn't know that was gonna happen?" Bucky hisses incredulously.

"No! 'Course I didn't know that was gonna happen. You think it didn't break my heart to see them match him out there and call him the new Captain America?"

"This isn't what Steve wanted," he says, his voice a little quieter.

She rakes her fingers through her hair. They're never going to get anywhere with this. Sam throws his head back, sighing heavily.

"Oh my god, what do you want me to do? Call America and tell them I changed my mind, huh?" He rolls his eyes. "Yeah, great reunion buddy, be well."

"You had no right to give up the shield, Sam," the super soldier says again.

"Buck," she sighs, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Sam stop suddenly, shooting Dani a glare. "You know I thought after everything, out of all people, that you would have my back."

Her lips part, her forehead crinkling slightly, with hurt or anger, she isn't sure. But her first response has never been to be vulnerable or emotional. "I'm sorry, did I say something?"

He raises an eyebrow exasperatedly, "You didn't exactly jump to my defence, Dan, your not telling your boyfriend here to hold back."

"Because I'm not his mother. He's entitled to be mad that someone is replacing his best friend," she swallows, straightening as she bites back any angry words she might regret. She sighs heavily. "I don't know why you did what you did. But I'm not in your shoes. I don't blame you for anything, you didn't know what they were going to do, but of course I'm not going to be pleased they've strapped some guy up and painted him to be Steve."

"Why did you give it up, Sam?"

Danielle rolls her eyes, shaking her head at her fiancé. Sam's jaw clenches, "Listen, I tell you what you're not gonna do. You're not gonna come here and tell me about my rights in your over extended life. It's over Bucky. I've got bigger things to deal with now."

The accusation in Bucky's expression eases, his eyes filling with a distant emotion. "What could be bigger than this?" he asks quietly, his voice strained.

Sam tilts his head back as he pulls out his phone, holding an image up to the pair. "This guy."

Dani steps forward, studying the man in the picture. She glances back to Sam as he continues. "He has connections with rebel organizations all over Eastern and Central Europe, and he's strong. Too strong."

"And?" Bucky probes impatiently. She places a hand on his shoulder, silently urging him to calm down a little.

"Well, he's been connected to this online group called the Flag Smashers. Now, Redwing traced them to a building somewhere outside of Munich. So that's where I'm going."

"Well, I don't trust Redwing."

Sam shakes his head, swinging his bag over his shoulder, making his way towards the plane.

Danielle rolls her eyes, "Hang on, Sam."

"I've stuff to do and none of them are here getting lectured by a fossil."

She catches his shoulder, pulling him to a halt. "You two are like children." She straightens. "I'm coming with you."

Bucky shoots her a look, clenching his jaw. "Me too."

Sam wanders over to the bench, tossing Dani a gun before glancing to Bucky. "No you're not."

•••

She stares into space as she twists her hair tie around the end of her plait, pacing absently along the inside of the plane.

Bucky steps up behind her, his gloved hands finding their way to settle on her hips. He leans forward, his stubbled chin grazing on her shoulder. "Are you ready for this?"

She pats his hand, turning back around to face him. "Of course. Are you?"

He glances over to Sam as he pulls on his suit. He hums the affirmative. She slides her hands onto his shoulders. "If you weren't up to it, it'd be OK, you know."

He half smiles down at her. "You're cute when you're concerned."

"Stop evading my concerns," she comments, raising her eyebrow.

He only smiles wider and plants a kiss on her forehead. "Maybe I should ask Sam to give us a few minutes."

She sighs, biting her cheeks to keep from smiling as she pushes him off of her and pats his chest. She glances over his shoulder before her eyebrows pull together as Sam steps to the edge of the plane. "What's the plan?"

The Falcon's head turns slightly, sparing them an even glance from beneath the red tint of his goggles. He looks to his watch.

"Great, so no plan," Bucky rolls his eyes, dropping his arm from around his fiancé. He shakes his head.

"Enjoy your ride, Buck."

"You don't get to call me that."

"Uh, hello? Can anyone see me?" she snipes, storming towards Sam.

He sighs heavily. "I'm sorry, Dan, it's not my fault you can't fly."

She opens her mouth to snap something unholy at him before he launches himself out into the oncoming wind. She stands, her lips still parted and staring after him. "Is he serious?" she breathes, turning back to Bucky.

"Where's the chute?" he grumbles.

"It's too low for a chute."

"I don't need one anyway." He steps over to the edge, ripping the sleeves of his jacket off, exposing his carefully carved black and gold arm.

"You're kidding right?" she lifts her brow.

He presses his lips together in contemplation, staring at the ground rushing before him. Realising he isn't, she straightens. "Piggy back?"

He offers her a sympathetic smile. "Sorry, Doll."

She lunges forward to grab him, but he jumps out of her grasp- literally. She clenches her teeth, her eyes narrowing, unimpressed.

"Just you and me, huh?"

Sam's friend, Torres.

She rolls her eyes. "Get me to them."