Rain

It couldn't get worse. Goshiki sat down on a bench as he stared at the sky.

The day was crap, to say the least. Anything and everything going wrong, not like that was unusual. Nobody cared, truly cared. They thought they did but in reality, they didn't. And he knew it. He has been cast aside since the day he was born. Not knowing the undying love of parents who stopped loving him when he was 6. Not knowing the warmth of a family, or the comfort in a true conversation.

The sky was dark and it grew heavy with rain. It let out a shout in the form of thunder and a scream in the form of lighting. The rain came down fast and Goshiki just looked up. He let the water drop onto his face.

After a few minutes, he was soaked to the bone, he didn't care. Why should he when nobody cares about him, he won't be missed, truly missed.

He doesn't like thinking this way but has become accustomed to it. It was an inevitable truth that was undeniable. He pushed it aside for years before it set in his brain.

Everything clicked when on his ninth birthday his parents left the country. There was a present and a note. The present was for him and the note was of his responsibilities. No one cared that he was alone. 'Rely on the neighbors, they know' the note said. But what to do when the neighbor's kids hate you and spout lie after lie to their parents, only leaving a bigger hole in your chest.

When he got into Shiratorizawa he changed himself. Before he was painfully shy, stammered, didn't talk loud or much at all, scared of authority, timid, and unloveable. He would be the opposite, loud, outgoing, bright, confident, and loveable.

But nothing changed.

Why did nothing change? He was good, he never hurt anyone. Stop why? Why him? Why was it always him that was cast aside? Brushed off? Abandoned? Alone? Why? Why?! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY? WHY WAS HE LEFT? WHY WAS HE SO UNLOVED? He did it all right, right? He spoke respectfully. Never faltering, never yelling in anger, or getting angry at all. So why?

Why was he... alone?

Because he was simply empty.

There was nothing to love. He was so unloveable that he drove people to hate him. He was so disgusted with how alone he was, how sad, how angry, how unnoticed. He did it all right! He swears he did. He is so angry he could scream but he can't because that would make it worse. He wants to jump and fall for eternity. Give him some feeling other than the harsh echoes of emptiness and loneliness in his heart.

He got up from his lone bench in the empty park and walked. Where? That didn't matter. Anything to make him fall asleep faster. He walked until he came upon a convenience store.

He looked up at the sign and walked in. He didn't know why he was there, maybe the warmth of the half-asleep person at the counter. Sharing a common emptiness? Someone to fill the void for a moment? Doesn't matter.

He walked around the door once before leaving. Having no reason to be there.

Out into the rain again.

He pulled his phone out of his bag which was waterproof. Looked up Shiratorizawa and headed in that direction. The entire walk there felt like he was dragging his body as dead weight to his dorm. He walked past the empty park and the lonely bench.

He might as well give in to the weight of sleep.

He walked over to give the bench some of his warmth and company. Sharing the warmth that the bench couldn't give him. He laid down, his body is made of lead while his heart is made of glass and a mask made of porcelain.

As he lay there, cold tears ran down his face. His mask broke into millions of pieces and no one was there to save him, to put him back together, even though he saved so many others. He put them back together while he was left with bloody hands. He put them back together with all the right pieces and kept the wrong ones with him, but no one ever took the wrong pieces to the trash.