Chapter 44

"Eager to see me, babe, aren't you?", Malcolm said with a cruel smile and I tried to push the door closed again, but before I had the chance to do so, he threw the door open again with so much force that it hit me by the head.

Cursing I held my head while I stumbled back as he closed the door leisurely before casually strolling towards me.

"Well, I would have expected a warmer welcome.", he said grinning evilly.
"Oh yes, I am just delighted to see you again after you gave me broken ribs and a concussion last time. I had to go to the hospital. Again.", I said, foaming with anger but it quickly turned into fear, when he stepped even closer and I felt his breath against my skin. He smelled like beer and something stronger. Maybe Vodka.

"Well, I would have apologized but then you didn't just disappear, you also called the cops on me. I have been sleeping in a dumpster because of you.", he growled. That explained the fishy smell at least.
"And then I saw this article about you and that bastard. You are such a slut.", he snarled angrily, and I bit my lip. That explained how he knew that I was here in New York, not how he knew my address.

"Don't call him that. You're the only monster here. And how did you find me here anyways?", I asked, slowly backing up
.
Malcolm laughed as if he actually found that question very amusing.
"Well, I've been in New York since Tuesday, and then that second article came out, about that other guy, Graham.", he grunted.
"It said what hospital he was in. I was hoping you'd be there too, but you never showed up I followed them around, until little Graham finally decided to pay you a visit. It wasn't hard to follow him here.", he explained, looking at me as if he expected me to applaud him for that terrific idea.

He was insane.
"You followed them around for days? Just to find me? You are crazy, Malcom. Leave, or else I'll call the police, and this time you won't get away."
I tried to sound confident but in reality, my phone was on the vanity in my bathroom, where I had left it.

He laughed again and it sent shivers down my spine.
"I brought a present for you, by the way." I backed up further, pressing myself against the cool wall. I wasn't a fortune's teller, but I knew that whatever it was, I wouldn't like it.
He stumbled a little when he came closer, indicating he was more drunk than I had figured until now.

He came even closer and I held my breath, while he grabbed behind him, reaching for something in his waistband. When his hand reappeared, my face went white.
It was a huge, silver knife. It was sparkling deadly in the bright light of the lamps in the floor.
The scream got stuck somewhere inside my throat.

"Don't worry, I just want to make a few little adjustments. I don't think Damien will want you anymore with holes in your face. No one will want you anymore, in fact. You should have just stayed with me."
Finally, I was able to get the scream out and at the same time I jerked forward. Malcolm was trying to grab my arm, but the alcohol made him unwieldier than usual, so I was able to scrape by.

Blood was rushing towards the bathroom and only a split second after I locked the door, Malcolm's heavy body slammed against it.
I turned around, heavily panting and I stared at my own mirror image. Wide eyes were staring back at me in horror before my gaze shifted to my phone.

I grabbed it quickly but after turning it on it took me 3 tries to get the password right because my hands were shaking so badly.
Meanwhile Malcolm had started banging against the door, yelling my name. The door was already shifting in its hinges. It wouldn't even last 5 minutes, that was certain.

My first instinct as calling the police, but then I changed my mind when a certain face slid into my mind. Damien.
I wasn't planning on dying today, but if I did, I didn't want to do so without telling him the truth, That I loved him, with all my heart and soul.