Chapter 9

The seats were huge and made of light brown leather that exuded a feeling of coziness. There were only 16 seats in the first class, and they formed 4 different sitting areas as two seats always faced each other with enough space for the little table in between.

There were a couple of brand new magazines and some newspapers spread on the table, right next to a little welcome basket with a bottle of champagne, four glasses and some chocolates in there and somehow I felt the urge to open the bottle and just chug it.

Maybe the alcohol would cloud my mind enough so I wouldn’t have to think about the asshole anymore and maybe it would make the flight a little more bearable.

“Don’t even think about it.”, Damien’s deep voice said behind me and I wrinkled my nose.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.”, I claimed and let myself fall into the seat just to jerk forward again and gasp in pain. I had completely forgotten about my ribs and I was regretting it already.

My eyes teared up and I forgot to breathe until black dots started to corrupt my vision. I took a deep, painful breath and let myself sink back into the soft leather.

“Are you okay?”, Damien asked, and his voice sounded softer, but that could have just been my imagination. Either way I didn’t look up to him but turned to stare out of the window so he couldn’t see the tears of pain and anger sparkling in my eyes.

“Why do you care?”

The words had left my mouth before I had a chance to think about them. I bit my tongue. My voice had sounded a lot more hurt than I had intended and before either of us could say anything again, Charlie, who hadn’t seemed to notice the tension between Damien and me, spoke up: “This is so cool. When are we going to take off?”, he asked impatiently and stared outside.

“In a few minutes.”, Damien replied.

It was great seeing him like this, with his cheeks being the color of a healthy red and his blue eyes sparkling.

He was so full of energy even though he was still going through his chemo and that was truly remarkable. I really hoped his chemo would be over soon so he could have the childhood of a normal little boy. The childhood he deserved.

It took about 10 more minutes for everyone to settle in and for the plane to start moving towards the runway.

There were only 6 other people in the first class so the seat next to Damien stayed vacant. Before we took off though, the pilot came and welcomed everyone in person and when he saw Charlie he even offered him to take a look at the cockpit. Charlie was so excited when he came back that he almost couldn’t stop talking.

“I want to be a pilot too, one day.”, he claimed, and I smirked a little.

“You can become everything that you want when you grow up.”, I answered, and Charlie made big eyes.

“Even an astronaut?”, he asked in disbelief and stared at me.

“Even that.”, Damien answered before I could, and I nodded.