Withering | Seokjin

This fic contains mature themes and inclusion of fatal disease and angst. If any of the above topics make you uncomfortable, skip this fic.

"Ms. Nabi, I'm very sorry to say this, you have been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I'm afraid, we have to start the treatment right away," the doctor tries to hide his pity on her. Nabi chuckles and looks down, playing with her fingers nervously.

"What?" Her eyes aren't focused on the doctor, her lips tremble as her eyes glisten. "What did you just say?"

Nabi presses the elevator button to her floor. The words still ringing clearly in her head.

"How much time do I have?" She asks, sniffling.

"A year with the treatment," the doctor answers.

"And without?"

The doctor contemplates before answering. "I suggest you start the treatment right away. There are times when miracles happen."

"Just answer doctor," she wipes her tears.

"Four to five months."

She sighs and collapses down, crying. It's so unfair. Why did she have to go through this? Why did the cancer show up? She never did any wrong to anyone.

The conversation keeps rewinding in her mind. "But, I don't smoke or drink. I take care of myself very well. I eat healthy," her breath shakes and her voice breaks in between.

"Ms. Nabi, there are many factors that influence the growth of cancer in our bodies. Sometimes even medical research can't find the answers to some questions. I'm so so sorry," he bends forward.

"This is so unfair," it barely comes out as a whisper.

She walks out of the lift towards her apartment and unlocks it. She throws her bag on the couch and walks to the kitchen. She gasps when a hand creeps around her waist and pulls her into a hug.

"Baby, I'm home," he kisses the back of her ear. She smiles through pain and leans her back on him.

"You said you will be gone for a week?" She rubs her thumb on his hand.

"Ok, I'll come back after a week," he untangles his hands around her and walks out of the kitchen. She giggles as she follows him.

"I was just asking," she pulls at his shirt smiling. He turns to her and presses a kiss on her lips. He gets a clear look of her face and his eyebrows crease into concern as he cups her face.

"Baby, you okay? You look so pale," he rubs her cheek.

"Nothing," she looks into his eyes while he searches for answers in hers. "Let's take a warm bath," she presses a kiss on his lips and sucks at his bottom lip.

"Sure," he pushes a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

Nabi doesn't tell him. She doesn't want to. Doesn't want to put him through something she is going through. She has thought a lot about taking treatment but it's not like she is going to live after all that. She hated the idea of pipes and wires running down her body. She decides to live a palliative life. She decided to live the last moments of her life without running to the hospital every week.