Subway | Taehyung

The last train to Seoul station will arrive shortly on platform number two

The last train to Seoul station will arrive shortly on platform number two. Please stay clear off the edges.

Taehyung's ears unconsciously register the announcement as his mind is busy rewinding the events from the evening.

"I'm sorry Taehyung, I'm, I'm not ready. This is too soon."

A teardrop rolls down his cheek and he wipes it with the back of his hand holding a velvet box that is not empty. He looks at the empty black tunnel in an attempt to keep himself busy, the less he thinks, the better. The champagne bottle in his hand mirrors the lights in the subway station screaming the sorrow of rejection. It was going really well, they were happy, she always looked like she wanted a life with him, at least he thought. He huffs out the sobs stationed at the bottom of his throat and slips the velvet box into his pocket.

His phone chimes, messages flooding from his friends congratulating him, they don't know. They don't know that he is walking alone today with a not so empty velvet box and the champagne bottle that hasn't even been opened.

"Are you okay?"

The last thing he wants right now is to talk to anyone. He turns and smiles. "I'm fine, thank you." She nods. "That's a really good champagne," she adds. Taehyung doesn't turn to her. She bites her lip, she has been watching him since he came in, he looked sad and probably heartbroken because she surely saw a velvet box slip into his pocket.

"I'm sorry, I know you don't want to talk right now but I figured you had a really bad night right? A proposal that didn't go well?" Taehyung snaps his head to her, brows furrowed with a hint of anger on his face. She immediately raises her hands and waves them to avoid any misunderstanding. "I was only guessing. I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you something but I'll just leave," she turns around.

"She said she was not ready," Taehyung says. He probably thought that talking to a stranger, waiting for his train would be better than crying by himself on the way home. She turns around. "Said, it was too early. After two fucking years," he chuckles.

She smiles. "Similar thing happened to me last month. We had been together for almost a year. We really don't know anything until the moment comes." Taehyung's face softens, the familiarity of the situation makes him feel sorry for her. "Did they say no too?" She shakes her head and smiles. She walks and stands by his side.

"I did. I said no," she looks at him. "Sometimes you don't know the answer until someone's on their knees. You think you love and you want to spend the rest of your life with them. You think you know what you want but then when they ask, it comes screaming at your face. I felt guilty, I still do. But you know, sometimes you have to let go. I bet she feels guilty too. It's not an easy decision to make and I bet she feels sorry. Maybe it's for the best, the ring, someone else will take it. Glady. Not all things that hurt are bad. Some lead to happiness," she smiles.

The station fills with the rumbles of the train arriving. "Hope you will find someone," she says, getting on the train. Taehyung sprints to her and hands over the champagne. "I don't have anything to celebrate so you can have it."

"No, that looks expensive. I can't," she waves. He pushes the bottle into her hand and backs off. He waves at her smiling and the smile fades when the realisation hits him. He was supposed to get on the train.

Two weeks later

White bed of snow streches all over the city, winter is already here and so it's all sweaters, gloves and hot soups. Taehyung walks, hands in his pockets and sighs when in content when he enters the warm subway station. He takes a sip of warm crab soup from the cup and sits down. He feels the vibrations of someone plopping down next to his seat and mumbling something to themselves. He didn't look at her intentionally. Her eyes were red and swollen, she keeps biting her bottom lip. She sniffles and checks her phone, wiping her tears.

It's her.

"Are you alright?" He asks. She turns to him. A hint of shock mixed with suprise on her face. "You?" It comes out as a whisper from her mouth. Taehyung smiles.

"I got fired today. So I won't say I'm okay," she says, taking a tiny mirror out of her bag and wiping her smudged lipstick. "Well, that's bad. What happened?" He bends forward. She pushes her hair back, a classic gesture to show frustration. "Politics. Workplace politics happened."

"Aren't we all victims of it at one time or another? The kind of work you do?" He asks. "I am an assistant marketing manager. Well not anymore," she shrugs. He nods.

"It's Taehyung," he says. She looks at him, her face turning into confusion. "My name, it's Taehyung. I didn't introduce myself last time."

"Oh," she chuckles. "It's Dasom. Lee Dasom," she extends her hand and shakes it with his.

"Do you want to dance? I have a really nice song on my playlist," he says, serious. Like he really means it. "What? Dance? You do realise that you just asked me to dance right?" He nods. "Well, there are not many people in the station and the next train is in ten minutes plus you need a distraction."

"And so you want me to dance, with you?" She throws her hands in the air. "Well I can't ask you to play Ddakji because then you will think I'm recruiting you for squid game." She throws her head back and laughs, holding her stomach as she falls and leans back on the seat.

"What's the song?" She smiles.

A soft piano plays out loud as she puts her hand on his shoulder. "Fuck the job and cheers to a new life ahead," he says. She laughs. "You make it sound like I just survived a titanic or something." He twirls her and catches her, hands not pressing too much onto her body. It's weird, she thinks of dancing with a stranger in the metro station. But who cares. You only live once and she has nothing to lose.

"The train is here I have to go," she gets out of his hold and takes her bag. "Actually, wanna grab dinner? It's on me. I want to celebrate the new start of my life." She extends her hand. Taehyung smiles and takes it.

Your mom's ring in your pocket
My picture in your wallet
Never leave you stranding...

Not smut guys. But I hope you enjoyed :)

Leave likes and comments to encourage the author

Also you can donate on my Kofi if you like works to support me thank you ☺️. I also take commissions dm me ✨

Thank you 💕