The Spines of America

"How's it going back there?" (Y/n) asked after riding on the horse for awhile. Arthur grumbles and she giggles at this. "Well, we're almost there, cowboy." She said and he starts to sit up straight and rub his eyes.

"You need some water?" (Y/n) asked him. "Nah, I'll be fine." Arthur said as they come up to this large ranch. "Oh, here we are. "(Y/n) said as they get closer and see Hosea talking with a farmer as they sit on a bench near the door.

"That's an interesting way of putting it, Seamus." Hosea said. "Oh no doubt, I do interesting very well. It's trusting I don't do so well." Seamus said as the two come up and dismount the horse. "Please…" Hosea said and looks up at the two.

"Arthur. (Y/n). This is Seamus…he's our new partner." he tells them. "I ain't no such thing." Seamus grumbles. "Prospective new partner… if he likes us." Hosea corrects. "Liking ain't the problem…trusting is, as I said. Keep your voices down…I don't want my boss hearing. This is a side line." Seamus said.

"Look at us, honest as the day is long." Hosea said. "Exactly." Seamus said. "I tell you what…let us prove ourselves." Hosea said and Arthur gives him a confused look. "Prove ourselves? To this clown? What you talking about?" Arthur asked Hosea, which seemed to upset Seamus.

"Good day, Hosea…good luck with your business dealings." Seamus said as they stand up and he starts to walk off but Hosea stops him. "Listen, he's rough and ready and quick with his tongue…but I swear, you can trust him, and trust me and this young lady here." said Hosea.

"I'm an old man." Seamus said.

"You're not old, Seamus." Hosea said.

"I'm old enough… and you know why I ain't dead?" Seamus asked. "You don't trust idiots." Hosea states and Seamus nods. "Exactly." He said. "We're not idiots…let us prove it to you." Hosea said and Seamus looks between the trio before he let's out a sigh.

"Okay…I tell you what…Old Bob Crawford and his boys…just bought a beautiful stolen stage coach from upstate. It's in their barn. Now you go get that…and then we can work together." Seamus explains.

"Who's old Bob Crawford?" Hosea asked. "An acquaintance of mine." Seamus replied. "So you want us to take out your competition?" Hosea asked, confused. "Well, he-he's not just an acquaintance…but a cousin…" Seamus said and Arthur and (y/n) share a look of confusion and alarm before Seamus finishes. "...by marriage. I also want to see if you three got what it takes. Now, you survive that…" 

"Where is he?" Hosea asked. "He's in a farmhouse just northwest of here, called Carmody Dell. It's just up the train tracks…as you're heading up towards Fort Wallace. There's also some money in that house…but that's your business, not mine…but don't kill nobody. Folks know we ain't intimate no more…and they'll know it was me." said Seamus.

"But, you're fine with us robbing your cousin?" Hosea asked him with a raised eyebrow. "By marriage…and yes, I'd love it." said Seamus. Hosea turns to the duo then said. "You heard the man…let's go rob his cousin."

"By marriage." Seamus shouts after them as they head towards their horses. "Lead the way, Arthur. He said the place is just northwest of here." Hosea said. "Me?" Arthur said, confused. "You're the one who's been out gallivanting around here." Hosea said.

"That's what you call it. Clearly you've recovered from your bear encounter." Arthur said and (y/n) looks between them. "Bear encounter?" She asked. "Oh, Arthur and I went out hunting the other day and...let's just say if Arthur wasn't there, I wouldn't be standing here today." Hosea said and (y/n) gives Arthur a proud smile.

Arthur huffs at this and rolls his eyes at this then looks over at (y/n)'s horse before he looks back at (y/n). "Since I have to take the lead, is it alright for me to take the reigns?" He asked her and she nods.