A Tempting Offer

Several days had past since Arthur and his family arrived in Valentine. Arthur had done some bounty hunting for the Sheriff and (y/n) did some odd jobs, helping with the general store or becoming a waitress at the local bar, while the kids either stayed at the hotel or hung around wherever (y/n) was working.

Eventually, they decided to move on to a different town, mainly cause the Sheriff ran out of bounties to capture. They packed up their stuff, loaded the wagon on the horse and headed off and towards Rhodes.

"You know...I'm gonna miss it here. I forgot how nice this town was." (Y/n) told Arthur as they made their way the valley. "Better than a city..." Arthur mutters.  "True...not really looking forward to Saint Denis." (Y/n) said.

"Are we going to find a home?" Annebeth asked them. "Well, like we've said, sweetheart, we're trying to save money to get a home." (Y/n) replied to her. "And how long will that take?" Annebeth asked, a bit impatient. "We're not to far from getting the full money." Arthur said and Annebeth frowns a bit.

"Annebeth?" (Y/n) said to her, questioning, and Annebeth shakes her head. "Sorry, ma and pa, I'm just...I just want to stay in one place instead of always running, that's all." She replied, truthfully, and (y/n) and Arthur share a look before (y/n) turns to Annebeth.

"I assure you, Annebeth, we feel the same way but...it is something we have to endure for now. We'll get there, eventually." (Y/n) said and Annebeth nods before she goes back to her book while the two youngest children looked between Annebeth and their parents before they settled on playing with Dixon.

It was late afternoon when the family make it to Rhodes, which looked like it hadn't changed much. Course the only thing that was different was that the Grays and the Braithwaite's were no longer around as Dutch, Arthur and many others made sure they were all gone. Except for Beau and Penelope, they were the only ones that had survived. Penelope had written to Arthur a few days after the fallout with the gang and asked for his help to get her and Beau out of Rhodes.

Against his better judgment, Arthur went back and helped them escape where they got on a train and made their way north.
Once Arthur pulls the wagon into town, he climbs down off of it. "I'll go see if there's any jobs for me to do." He tells (y/n), who nods. "Okay, I'll go get us a room and find myself a job." (Y/n) said. He leans down to her and gives a kiss before he heads over to the Sheriff's office.

"How can I help you, ma'am?" The gentleman at the bar asked (y/n) as she walked up to him. "I'm needing a couple of rooms, please." She said and the man nods as he starts to ring her up for two rooms. As (y/n) hands him the money, she felt eyes on her, an unwelcoming one. She turns her head a bit and sees a man, a bit younger than her, watching her.

She ignores it as the bartender hands her a couple of keys for the room. "Thank you. Um...I was wondering, do you have any jobs?" (Y/n) asked the bartender, who seemed surprised by her question. "It's just we lost our home in a fire and we're just rebuilding some money to get a new place. I'm willing to do whatever jobs you throw at me." (Y/n) said as the bartender looks her over.

"Well...lucky for you, ma'am, I'm needing a waitress. You can start tonight." He said and (y/n) smiles with relief. "Thank you, sir." She said as he hands her the keys to the rooms and she calls out to her children. Then she leads them to the room.

That night, (y/n) was passing out food and drinks to the patrons with ease but she couldn't help but feel that someone was watching her. She looks over her shoulder a few times to see that same man from earlier still staring at her. But she does her best to ignore him.

And she mentally tells herself to just do her job and smile at the costumers so she doesn’t lose her job on her first day. Even if some costumers are rude or creepy.
She was cleaning a table when she felt hands on her shoulder. She freezes at this when a voice whispers. "Hey there, beautiful." A chill ran up (y/n)'s spine at this and she turns around to see the creepy man standing behind her. "Uh...can I help you, sir?" She asked, trying to keep calm.