Soulmates - Part 4

The next morning you wake up in a daze. You go through your morning routine, brush your teeth, wash your face, get dressed, but it feels like you are just going through the motions. No matter what you do you can't stop thinking about what happened last night.

Emily kissed you. Emily kissed you and it felt great, amazing even. The two of you fit together like puzzle pieces that have been waiting their entire lives to be together. But you pulled away.

You pulled away because Emily still had a boyfriend. You pulled away because if you hadn't, you wouldn't have been able to let her go. You wouldn't have been able to sit and listen to her talk about Mendoza, you wouldn't be able to look at her anymore without feeling like a part of you was missing.

So you pulled away and broke your own heart before she could.

As you walk into the BAU your stomach is doing somersaults. You feel more nervous than you did on your first day. What would it be like to see her? Would you be ok? Or would all of the feelings from last night come rushing back all at once? God, how were you even going to work with her anymore now that the two of you had kissed?

Suddenly you run into something hard, and you stumble a little, coming out of your thoughts.

"You ok kid?" you hear Rossi's voice, and you look up to see that it was him that you ran into.

"Yes, sir, sorry I was thinking and not paying attention. My bad," you quickly apologize, but he just stands there, his eyes studying your body language.

"You don't need to call me sir, (Y/N)," he finally says.

"Sorry, force of habit," you start to walk away and head to your desk, but you feel him reach out and gently touch your arm.

"(Y/N), would you mind if we talked?" he asks you, and your heart jumps. "You're not in trouble," he ensures, seeing your apprehension.

"Uhm, sure," you say, and he shoots you a warm smile before the two of you walk into his office. It feels like you are walking into the principal's office, as you sit down in the seat across from his desk, while he props himself on top of it.

"Can I ask you a question?" he asks, and you nod slowly.

"How do you feel about Emily?" he asks, and your mouth starts to go dry just from hearing her name.

"Uh, well," you stutter out. "I mean, she's nice and a great agent, and much more understanding than my last boss..." you are mid-sentence when Rossi holds up his hand and cuts you off.

"I meant the other situation. How do you feel about her being your soulmate?" You let out a breath of air and start to fidget with the edges of your sleeves.

"Well, um, I mean it is what it is. She's in a relationship, so I mean there's not much I can do."

"But you do have feelings for her?" he asks as he narrows his eyes. You squirm in your seat, this conversation feeling more and more like an interrogation by the second.

"With all due respect, that seems like a personal question and honestly I barely know you," you say and his face softens.

"I'm sorry, you probably feel like I am probing you for answers. I am just curious, the two of you seem to be at odds these past few days, and this morning you seemed upset about something. Sorry If I overstepped."

"Actually," you say as he starts to push himself up from the desk. "I could use some advice." He pauses and looks at you before he sits back down.

"I'm always here."

"Ok, well," you say as you run a hand through your hair. "I was talking to Garcia and she mentioned you had been married multiple times, and you weren't married to your soulmate. She also mentioned you had some flings and girlfriends, which I mean there is nothing wrong with that it's just that, you know, because you've been with so many women, you're probably the most qualified to give me an answer and..."