You're Lying

You are in your car, driving home from a long day at work. All you can think about is getting home, taking a warm shower, and relaxing in bed. Your thoughts are interrupted by your phone ringing, and you glanced down to see your wife's name.

"Hey Em," you say as you answer the phone. 

"Hey (Y/N), it is actually JJ," you hear.

"Oh, hey JJ, why do you have Emily's phone?" You ask her, worry slightly creeping into your voice.

"Emily has gotten a little hurt." Your heart drops and you quickly pull your car over to the side of the road and put it into park.

"Hurt? JJ what happened?" you ask, not even bothering to keep the panic out of your voice. You can vaguely make out Emily saying something in the background.

"Uhm one second I think she wants to tell you," JJ says before you hear Emily's voice.

"Hey honey, I don't know why JJ called you. We are just going to the hospital as protocol." Just based on the tone of her voice, you can tell that she is in pain. She should know you know her well enough to tell things like that.

"Emily, what happened?" You ask her gently, hoping that she tells you the truth.

"It's not that bad babe I promise..." she starts but you cut her off.

"Emily," you say in a serious tone, starting to get frustrated.

"Yes?" She asks softly.

"Put JJ back on the phone," you say.

"But babe.." you cut her off again, this time raising your voice slightly.

"I need you to put JJ on the phone or I will add some more injuries to the ones you already have," you hear Emily sigh and she hands the phone back over to JJ.

"JJ, what hospital are they taking her to? I will be there as soon as I can." You put your car back into drive, pull back onto the road, and speed your way to the hospital.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Once you have gotten parked you jump out of the car and rush through the hospital doors. You see the team in the waiting room, some standing, some sitting, and you make your way over to them. JJ gets up from her seat and she walks over to meet you.

"Is she ok?" you ask once JJ gets close enough to hear you.

"Yeah she's fine it wasn't anything life-threatening. She got into a small altercation with the unsub and sustained a couple of injuries." JJ says.

"What injuries?" You ask. Hearing that Emily is fine, your heart rate slows, but you are still slightly on edge.

"She has a few broken ribs and a pretty bad concussion. They were talking about keeping her overnight to run a few tests, to make sure she doesn't have any brain injuries." You sigh as you run your hands through your hair.

"Thank you JJ," she gives you a small smile.

"No problem, her room is right down the hall first door to the right." She points down the hall. You give her another quick thank you before making your way to Emily's room.

As you open the door, you see Emily sitting on the hospital bed looking out of the window. You notice her holding her side gingerly. The room is dim, probably to help with her concussion, so it takes her a second to notice you have walked in.

"Hey (Y/N)," she says when she notices you. She immediately tries to sit up and change her posture but you can tell it is causing her pain. You cross your arms and walk over to sit in the chair next to her.

"What did JJ tell you?" She asks, correctly assuming that you talked with her best friend. You lean your forearms onto the bed and look at her in the eye.

"That you're worse off than you wanted me to believe."

"It's really not that bad," She says as she breaks your eye contact. You glance down to where she had been holding her side earlier and lightly touch her bandaged ribs, causing her to wince in pain. You move your hand back as you look up at her. Gently you grab her hand and interlace your fingers with hers.

"You're lying to me," You say in a whisper. She looks down at your hands as she runs her thumb across your fingers.

"I'm not lying. I am just carefully choosing the things that I tell you," she says with a shrug.

"Yeah that counts as lying you idiot," you say with a small laugh before you get serious. "I was worried about you." She lifts your hands to her mouth and kisses the back of your knuckles.

"I'm sorry," she says, "It won't happen again."

"It better not," you say before breaking into a smile again, "I just can't believe you got your ass kicked" you laugh as she rolls her eyes, but breaks out into a smile too.

"I didn't get my ass kicked." She says.

"Oh really?" you ask sarcastically, "So why are you in the hospital then?"

"I told you, it's just protocol." She says with a smirk. You lean down and lightly press your lips against hers.

"You don't always have to be the tough guy you know?" you say as you pull away.

"I know," she says, "but you fell in love with the tough guy." You scoff at her and shake your head.

"You think I fell in love with you because you're some badass FBI agent?" She gives you a confused look and nods her head. You laugh before looking back at Emily.

"Em, I hate to break it to you, but this tough guy act is not the reason I fell in love with you. I fell in love with you because you are kind, and loving, and selfless, and funny, and stubborn in the best way. Is the fact that you're a badass FBI agent a plus? Hell yeah," She laughs a bit, but stops when it hurts her ribs. The smile drops from your face, and is replaced with a look of concern. "but Em, my love isn't going to diminish the second you admit that you are hurting, or that you need help."

"Good," she says as she lets out a breath of air, "because this hurts like a bitch." You laugh a little, before bending down and giving her another quick kiss.

"Want me to see if the doctor can give you something for the pain?" you ask.

"Yes please," she has her bottom lip poked out and is giving you puppy dog eyes.

"You are such a baby," you say.

"But I am your baby."