Sleep-Deprived

You glance at the clock after finishing your last write up about the case you had just finished. It reads 12:42 in the morning. You groan as you pack your stuff and get ready to head home. Just as you are about to head towards the door though, you notice that the light is still on in Emily's office. You thought that you were the only person still here. You walk up to her door and knock before gently opening it. Emily is sitting behind her desk, a pile of papers in front of her.

"Hey Em, staying late tonight?" you ask as she looks up at you.

"Yeah, I just have some work I need to finish up." She motions to the papers around her.

You quickly glance around her office and notice that there is a blanket folded up on the couch and her go-bag is sitting on the floor, opened. You step into her office and close the door behind you.

"Emily, have you been sleeping at the office?" You ask her as you walk over to her desk.

"No," she responds, still going through the papers on her desk.

"Emily," you say, crossing your arms over your chest, "you do remember I am a profiler right? I know you're lying."

"Technically I'm not lying. You asked if I sleep here, the answer is no." She responds curtly.

"You don't sleep?" You ask as you sit down on the edge of her desk. "Emily you know that isn't good for you."

"I can sleep when I am dead." She says with a pained laugh.

"Emily," you say seriously. Your tone of voice causes her to finally look up at you. "I am serious, you need to go home and sleep." She sighs.

"I promise, I will go home once I finish, ok?" You shake your head.

"Nope, not ok. I need to make sure that you get home." She leans back in her chair and crosses her arms.

"Ok, how about I call you when I get home." You copy Emily and cross your arms as well.

"Still not good enough, how will I know you're really at home and not still here?"

"Well, what do you propose?" She asks with a roll of her eyes. An idea pops into your head and you smile at her.

"How about I drive you home, just so I am sure," she pauses for a second, and you can tell that she is at least considering it. I mean, technically she is your boss, so she doesn't have to do anything you say, but you can see her resolve slipping by the second.

"Fine," she says with a sigh, "just give me a second to put these files away."

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"OK, we are here, is this good enough?" Emily asks as you put the car into park.

"Now what kind of person would I be if I didn't make sure you got into the house safe and sound?" You turn the car off and get out of the car. Emily gets out too and you follow her as she walks to the door. When the two of you get to the door, you lean against the wall while you watch Emily get out her keys and unlock her front door.

Once she gets it open she walks through the door, and you get ready to walk back to your car. But she stops and turns back around to you.

"Do you want to come in?" She asks.

"I shouldn't," you respond, "you need a good night's rest." Again, you start to turn to go back to your car, when you feel Emily lightly grab your wrist.

"(Y/N), it is already 1:30 in the morning, and there are crazy people on the roads. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I let you drive home this late at night. You can sleep in the spare bedroom and borrow some of my clothes." You smile at her.

"Well if you insist." She laughs a bit and motions for you to come into her apartment. 

This isn't the first time you have been to Emily's place, so you know where everything is. She still shows you to the bedroom though. After handing you some clothes you can sleep in she says goodnight and heads to her room.

Once Emily is gone, you get changed and lay down in bed. But you can't stop thinking about her. You are somewhere between being awake and being asleep when you hear some noises coming from down the hall. Curiosity gets the best of you and you find yourself walking towards Emily's bedroom door. You hear sounds coming from inside so you knock on the door. There is some shuffling before it swings open and you are face to face with Emily.

"Is everything ok?," She asks as she leans against the door.

"I came to ask you the same thing," you peak around her into her room and see that it is a mess. Her sheets are crumpled up on her bed and there are papers strewn around her desk and the floor.

"Oh yeah, I am fine," she moves over to the side a bit to block your view. You move your gaze back to Emily and look her in the eye.

"You don't seem fine," you say gently. "Want to talk about it?" She sighs and walks back over to sit on her bed. You follow her and sit next to her.

"I've been having this nightmare," she says barely above a whisper.

"That's why you're not sleeping?" you gently ask, matching her tone. She nods and wraps her arms around herself. "Emily, that's nothing to be ashamed of."

"I know it's not but, I'm the unit chief now I can't let these things get to me." You reach over and grab her hand. She lets you, and you gently squeeze it.

"Emily you don't have to be so tough all of the time," she glances up at you and the two of you lock eyes. After a moment of the two of you sitting there, you shift on the bed and gently tug Emily's arm.

"What are you doing?" she asks but follows your moves.

"My mom used to do this when I had nightmares, it helps I promise." You move onto her bed and lay down, pulling Emily with you. The two of you shift so you are laying on your back and Emily is tucked under your arm.

"You trust me right?" you ask. She nods. "Then relax." She takes a deep breath before relaxing and letting her body melt into yours. You gently run your hand through her hair and not long after, the two of you drift off to sleep.

When you wake up, Emily has her arms wrapped around you and you are facing each other. You open your eyes to see her looking at you. You give her a tired smile.

"Good morning," you say groggily, as you try to stretch out as much as possible with her arms around you.

"Good morning," She says with a smirk.

"How did you sleep?" You ask.

"Better than I have in a while."

"No nightmares?" You ask carefully.

"No nightmares," she responds, causing you both to break out into a smile.

"I told you it would help, I might have to stay over more often," you say jokingly, as you poke Emily in the side.

"Yeah, you might," she says seriously, as her eyes roam over your face. She tucks a strand of your hair behind your ear, before moving closer to you. Gently she leans forward and kisses you. As she pulls back, she runs her thumb across your cheek.

"Thank you," she says softly.

"For what?

"For being here. You make me feel safe."

"Emily Prentiss that was awfully cheesy," you say with a small laugh.

"Maybe I am just sleep-deprived," she responds, a smile playing at her lips.

"Yeah that's probably it," you say softly before pulling Emily closer to you.

Maybe she was just sleep-deprived, maybe she wasn't and she meant what she said. But either way, you were going to hold onto her for as long as she would let you.