Prom

"What has to happen in your life for you to be so mad that you are killing people at prom," Morgan says out loud, while the whole team is trying to figure out how to solve this case.

"Well based on the lack of blood anywhere near the parties, it is more likely that they were killed after prom." Reid chimes in causing most of your team to either roll their eyes or groan.

"You know that's not what I meant pretty boy. Prom is supposed to be one of the happiest moments of your life, and it was ruined for these victims." Morgan says.

"I don't think prom is the happiest moment of your life," You chime in. Suddenly almost every eye in the room has shifted to you. They are all looking at you like you have lost your mind.

"How isn't it?" Emily asks. "You get to dress up and have a good time with your friends. I would say that's pretty great." The rest of the team give a general nod of agreement.

"You are forced to put on a fancy dress and heels just to be surrounded by loud music and people you don't like for hours." You say with a nonchalant shrug. Emily cocks her head to the side at you and gives you a weird look.

"Come on, don't be so cynical," She says.

"I'm not being cynical, I just think prom is overrated. And don't even get me started with the after-parties." You say with a scoff.

"That's it," Reid suddenly exclaims while writing something down on the paper he had in front of him. "He isn't finding the victims at proms, he is finding them at the after-parties."

Reid was right, of course. Between him and Garcia, you don't know how the team would survive. Anyway, this new information led to new suspects, which led to you guys finding the unsub the next day, and getting on the Jet to fly home.

On the flight back, you have a book open and your legs curled under you. For the most part, the rest of the team leaves you to read by yourself, but around halfway into the flight back, Emily comes over to you. You glance over at her as she sits down.

"So," she says expectantly. You give her an awkward laugh.

"So. what?" You ask. She leans closer to you and raises her eyebrow.

"Why do you really hate prom?" You mark your page and close your book, turning your entire attention to her.

"What do you mean? I told you I just think it's overrated." She smirks at you and nudges your arm.

"Come on, I know you like the back of my hand. I know that's not the whole story." You sigh and look down at your hands. Emily's attitude grows serious once she sees how nervous you've gotten.

"Hey I didn't realize it was serious, you don't have to tell me if you're not comfortable." She reaches over and grabs your hand. You give her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"No, it's ok." You clear your throat and tell her a story you thought you would take to the grave.

"I wasn't out in high school. The only person who knew I was gay was my "best friend". The week before junior prom she claimed she wanted to be my girlfriend and asked me to go to prom with her. Stupidly I agreed because I trusted her and I believed her. I was so excited because I was going to prom with my first real girlfriend, but it turns out the whole thing was a joke. She outed me in front of the whole school and I was bullied for the rest of high school. For my entire senior year, people would shove me in the hall, spit at me, try to get me kicked out of class, and they even spray-painted the word faggot onto my car, multiple times." You look up and see sympathy in Emily's eyes.

"I am so sorry that happened to you," She says in a soft voice. You quickly wipe away the few tears that had made their way into your eyes.

"It's ok, don't feel bad for me. Kids are cruel, it happens," you say trying to downplay the situation. The two of you stare at each other for a moment until you notice that Emily's hand has never left yours. She doesn't seem to be making a move to go back to her seat or to let go of your hand, so you pick your book back up and try to read one-handed.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Once you make it home you turn on your tv and relax onto your couch, as you always do after a case. After watching a few reruns of The Golden Girls you hear a knock on your door. Pausing the TV, you get up and walk over to open the door. Once you do you are met with Emily standing on your doorstep.

You notice she is wearing a pearl necklace, and her make up is done. As your gaze moves down her body you see she is wearing a tight black dress that has quite a low neckline and hugs her body perfectly. You don't realize that you are staring until you hear her laugh. You regain your composure and let her into the house.

"Em, what are you doing here, and what are you wearing?" You ask as you close the door behind her.

"I am taking you to prom," Emily says with a smile as she holds up a garment bag and a bottle of champagne.

"What are you talking about Emily?" You ask, still confused.

"Some asshole kids ruined your prom, so I am going to give you another one. Now go change," She puts the garment bag into your arms and motions for you to go to your room. Skeptically you walk to your room and open the bag to see what's in it.

Inside is the most beautiful floor-length gown that you have ever seen. You quickly change into it and make your way back out to Emily. When you step into the living room, you notice that the lights have dimmed and there is now soft music playing. You move over to Emily who is standing in the middle of the floor.

"You look amazing," She says as she hands you a glass of the champagne.

"Thank you, but I don't think alcohol is allowed at prom." She laughs a little.

"You're right, we should probably put these down." She says as she takes the drink back from you and sits it on the table. "Besides, we wouldn't be able to dance with drinks in our hands."

Emily starts to move to the music in a weird way that you assume is her dancing but looks more like a wet dog shaking. You laugh and join in, moving your body like Emily's. The two of you discover over the next few songs that neither of you are the best dancers, but you sure had fun. Eventually, a slow song comes on, and the two of you pause to catch your breath.

You walk over to take a sip of your champagne, and when you look back onto your makeshift dance floor, you see Emily holding out her hand.

"(Y/N), would you slow dance with me?" You move over to her and grab her hand. She pulls you closer to her body and her hands find your hips while you place your arms around her neck. The two of you sway to the music for a little bit, just enjoying each other's company.

"Emily, why did you do this?" You ask looking up at her. She shrugs.

"I don't know. I guess I just wanted to take a bad memory of yours and turn it into a good one." You smile at her and pull her into a hug. She holds you close, and even though the music has changed to a fast song, neither one of you moves. When you pull back from the hug, Emily looks you in the eye.

"You know at my prom, there were these obnoxious couples that kissed on the dance floor," Emily says with a fake look of disgust. You smirk at her.

"They did that at mine too, It was kind of gross," You chime in. She smiles at you.

"Totally gross," She says softly. You are so close you can feel her breath ghosting across your lips. Slowly, the two of you close the distance, until your lips connect. This is the kiss you imagined you would have all those years ago at your junior prom. Not hard enough to be considered rough, but not timid enough to be unsure. Absolutely perfect.

The two of you break away with goofy grins on your faces. Emily reaches up to your lips and wipes a bit of her lipstick off of your lips. Afterward, her hand finds its way back to your waist, and she rests her forehead on yours.

"Still hate prom?" Emily asks you.

"I think it's starting to grow on me."