A Father's Realization

Gabriel didn't know how fast time flew by. But here he was, holding his grand-daughter while her parents smiled at the scene. But he realized this might not have happened at all.

…..

He didn’t like shutting his son out but he had to make sure he wouldn’t find out about Emilie.

He should’ve known pushing him away for so long would have consequences. Even when Nathalie warned him, he just ignored her.

He was so focused on saving Emelie he neglected everything around him. Years passed with more failure than he could count. 

He didn’t recognize his son’s accomplishments, his growth, nothing. He never saw Adrien packing up a suitcase with a few boxes either.

It wasn’t until their next scheduled dinner when he realized that Adrien had moved out. He had tracked him down to an apartment with his roommate, Marinette Dupain-Cheng (apparently his girlfriend), and tried to get him to come back to the mansion, back to him, but it was no use.

“You don’t own me anymore!” he said with spite in his tone. “I finally have someone besides Nathalie that cares about me and my needs.”

He was furious. “Adrien, you will NOT use that tone with me. You will stop this childish nonsense and return to the mansion this instant!” he barked in retaliation.

“I’m not going back to that place anymore!  Never again. Good day, Gabriel,” Adrien said, slamming the door in his face. He hadn’t seen him since.

Gabriel eventually gave up on trying to bring Adrien back. He'll be back once I get Emilie back , he thought.

He had only seen bits and pieces of Adrien in real life and after Adrien finished his contract with the Gabriel Brand, he didn’t see him at all.

But he barely cared. His mind was too focused on getting his beloved wife back and those pesky superheroes always got the best of his creations. He was irritated and sending out more and more akumas, and each time the damage worse than before.

Before he knew it, it had been nine years. Nine years without seeing his son, nine years of trying to bring Emilie back and failing, and nine years without the love and support of a family.

And finally he gave up. After Nathalie got too sick, he realized his attempts were in vain. Emilie wouldn’t haven’t stayed if she found out what he had done.  He felt crestfallen.  How could he have been so blind in pining his way to get her back?

And then Nathalie broke the news.

“I don’t have much longer anymore, Gabriel,” Nathalie said. Gabriel sucked in a breath. He knew about the lasting effects from when the peacock miraculous was broken. He didn’t think it would mean this though.

“How much longer?” he said, staring out the window.

“Three months, maybe less, the doctor says.” Nathalie said.

The two were silent, until Nathalie started a coughing fit and then Gabriel quickly rushed to her side.

When she finally finished, she looked up at her employer. “Gabriel, can I ask for something before-” she let the implication float in the air.

“Whatever you need Nathalie,” Gabriel said.

“I want to see Adrien one more time,” she said, shyly. He froze.

“Please, Gabriel. I want to see him one more time,” Nathalie begged.

Gabriel nodded his head. “I’ll try.”