Chp. 39

Khael

No..No!

Her body was limp and laying weakly against my chest. She was breathing heavily and desperately grabbing onto her chest as if she couldn't breathe. My mind ran wild not knowing what was happening.

I felt the small beads of sweat rising on the surface of my forehead. My grip on her shoulders tightened as I ran her to the healers. My large hand wrapped securely behind her head to prevent her head from shaking and making things worse.

"Hold on, Lilith. We're almost there."

She gave me no response and wondered if she could even hear me. Her eyebrows were scrunched in pain. She was sweating but her hands were cold as ever.

There were too many questions I needed answered. I wondered if it was possibly the stress she was under away from Roem with the recent work on the construction. Perhaps the food. I couldn't think of anything.

Then my thoughts drifted to moments before. I knew my frustration with her before didn't make anything better. Maybe my words were a bit harsh. I immediately regretted it but did I ever have a choice. She always left me anxious as if she would leave me any moment if she had the opportunity. I understood there were parts of her past she didn't want me to know but even so I couldn't control myself at the sight or thought of her discussing it with another man. The fact that she could open up easier with a stranger irritated me. I was her husband. Was that not enough?

The wooden doors crashed against the walls and the healers inside immediately reverted their attention to me as well as the maids that followed. A few of them quickly cleared the area and led me to the wooden bed with thin sheets.

I was seconds from going insane. The healers and maids were asking me questions but I couldn't hear any of it. I turned furiously and grabbed onto the first healer I saw in front of me. He seemed older than me with a beard around his face. They were a bit overgrown and his hooded eyes showed his exhaustion. His garments were tightly scrunched under my hold.

The others flinched from my yells and they were left trembling but that wasn't anything I cared. I needed them to move fast and tell me what was happening to Lilith. A few of the healers tried to calm me down as they were doing their best to observe her symptoms.

"Do whatever it takes to find the cause of this. Your life will depend on it."

I made sure none of them took this lightly. If her collapsing had anything to do with anyone's irresponsible behaviors they would pay for it with their lives.

I paced about behind the healer as he rubbed the grinded herbs against Lilith's forehead, above her chest as well as her wrists. Minutes passed waiting for the discoloration of the herbs to tell us of her state. The rest of the maids and healers were told to remain outside because they were merely a distraction. Only Cree, Cicili, and I remained here. Cicili started to cry, mumbling words I couldn't decipher to her sister. Cree only responded by rubbing her shoulders in attempts to console her.

The incence sticks burned in silence as we desperately waited for the results. After nearly an hour the healer began to talk. Lilith's body was appeased from absorbing in the herbs but he explained that was only temporary. There was more he had for us but his eyebrows scrunched at whatever he discovered as if he was questioning whether the results were accurate. I was growing impatient.

"What is it?"

His eyes met mine as he hesitated to deliver his words. They later shifted to Cree and Cicili.

"Chief Khael, may I speak with you in private."

When I looked towards the girls they quickly understood and silently left the room. It was only then he parted his lips.

"Go on."

"Facea. It's a poisonous herb similar to a rue and majority of her body's already been exposed to it."

"Facea? That's impossible. Those herbs only grow within the caves of Ninavon. It's nowhere near Draylum."

"Yes, I'm aware but there's no doubt this is Facea. From the looks of it, she's been consuming this frequently. Possibly small amounts. It's impossible to consume Faceas in such large amounts without severely harming the body. It seems the toxins have been building up inside of her and the symptoms are only occurring now."

His hands were shaking even as he was delivering me these news. To find Facea in Draylum was impossible. It's also very hard to find merchants that sell them especially because they're commonly known for their harmful effects. The only way to take possession of it was to specifically request for them. I already knew what this healer was trying to tell me but I asked nonetheless to clarify his intentions in telling me this.

"What are you trying to tell me.."

His eyes momentarily met mine and quickly looked away.

"I..I believe she's been poisoned. If she doesn't get treatment soon, it's unlikely for her to survive while carrying a child."

His words faded towards the end but I heard it clearly. The fact that she had been poisoned and there was a traitor within our walls was enough to make me furious but it was as if my heart had stopped from his last words. It must've been my hesitation and the look on my face, he was surprised as well.

"Were you not aware of her pregnancy?"

I couldn't find myself to speak as I tried to wrap my head around this sudden news. His words faded even as he continued to tell me that it was a boy that was nearly 2 months. Our son, a blessing from the heavens and yet I could not find myself to express my joy for the news. She was pregnant and in critical condition of possibly losing our child. Possibly even her own life.

I slowly took my steps closer to her. I assumed Lilith didn't know about it either. She never discussed anything about it with me. My eyes were fixed on her still body. I walked closer to hold her small hands in mine. They were awfully cold.

"Is there a way to save her and our child.."

It was a difficult answer to get out of him. He made no promises and stated the chances were slim. Almost impossible to risk for. We were far too late and the effects of the Facea were deeply rooted in Lilith. At this rate, trying to save them both would possibly kill them both. At Lilith's current weak state, it was almost impossible to save the child. If we tried, it would possibly kill her.

There was no choice. There would be a loss and the decision was in my hands. My eyes furrowed at the horrible thought and decision I had to make. I shook my head. I couldn't ever live without Lilith. I would never exist without her.

Being labeled a monster wasn't what I was afraid of. It would taint me no further. It was my child that I would murder to save Lilith. Our son. I would ask for forgiveness to our unborn child for the greater good.

I convinced myself this was the greater good if I ever wanted a future with Lilith. But even so I couldn't deliver my words. I held tightly onto Lilith's hand and looked at the healer that waited for me patiently.

"We are keeping the child. Do whatever you can to save them both."

I saw his hesitation but he stopped himself from saying anything further. I prayed for the heavens to allow me to have them both.

Please. I beg of you to save them both. Any punishment you have for me, I'll suffer them all for all I've done so please just let them live.

*

Thank you