Chp. 7

Lilith

"Straight down the hallway. There should be a bucket on the side for you."

The old lady at the little shabby inn pointed towards the public bath. Khael reminded me not to expect anything grand as the ones at home. But I didn't mind. A quick wash was all there was to it. I was rather thankful. He and his men would just wash their faces in the basin laid outside.

There was a corner of stone pavement and a bucket of warm water on the side. Inside was a little bowl to pour the water.

The water must've been out for a while, the hot steam was long gone. I laid down the garments by the window sill, now standing bare. The wind that blew through the peeks of the window slithered through causing me to shiver.

Nonetheless, it was quite refreshing considering the long hours we've been in the carriage. My body seemed to enjoy this little treat too. The waters slithering down as I rubbed my sore muscles. If I could I wished to just lie down here.

It got quite dark by the time I finished and the men outside seemed to have settled down. They were gathered around the fire after setting their little tents just big enough to fit a single person.

My heart started to skip when my steps neared our room. We would be together in this room.

I was having a sense of regret after asking him to stay so shamelessly. I felt my cheeks flush in embarrassment.

Why did I ever think this was a good idea?

It was obvious he and I did not enjoy each other's company. I always had this bad habit of mine, where I blurted out things without thinking.

But I couldn't stand the thought of being alone in this foreign room. These memories of mine always managed to haunt me when I was alone. I was always kept hidden from father's visitors or the suitors that followed my sisters like shadows.

My hands hesitated to open the door but I managed to push through. He stood by the window looking over at his men outside.

He turned his attention to me with the click of the door. I closed the door with my hands behind me as he walked towards me. I noticed the ends of his hair were still wet, framing his face. He had also taken off the layers of garments and belts surrounding his body.

All that were left was the clothes covering his lower body and the tribal beads encircling his neck and wrist. He looked at me intently as he towered over.

So close.

"Was the water too cold? You're shivering."

His hands cupped my face, tilting them slightly so I would face him. I didn't understand why he had such eyes for me. They seemed concerned, waiting for me to answer.

"I-It was fine..really."

It didn't seem as though my answer was convincing. His eyes traced to the thin gown I had on.

"I must say these are fairly thin."

I gasped as I looked down at the state I was in. Parts of the thin layers were soaked and so clearly outlining my breasts. But he turned away as if it was nothing.

"Get inside. I'll put more wood in the fire."

I did as I was told while he was now sitting on the chair, holding up his falcata by the fire. He was so focused observing every details. It seemed as if it was important to him.

I found myself following his movements. It was a rare chance to look at him properly when his attention was elsewhere.

With the silence, my thoughts had me questioning again. It was so strange to even have him sitting here in front of me like this. Even the thought that I would be with him...

Why does he want to take me with him?

Surely there must be a reason. Perhaps he was forced and my father conversed his ways with him again.

Khael

I wanted to rip that useless gown off her. The thin cloth did little to cover her anyway. There were still droplets of water that failed to dry and the clothes clung to places I couldn't bear to look at.

Her little buds perked their way up, slightly pushing up against her gown. The outline of its dark peaks held my attention.

She just stood there all clueless not even knowing what she did to me. Any longer and I would spend the whole night having my way with her.

"W-Why..did you come back?"

My attention turned to her voice. She sat there on the side of the bed fidgeting around with her hair.

"What do you mean?"

"It's just..I d-didn't think you would come back."

"I don't understand why you would find it strange. After years of war, isn't it quite normal to return home to my wife. Is that not what we promised that night? You and I. This marriage."

I didn't understand her. Of course I knew this wasn't something she wanted from the beginning. I've always wanted her more and that was fine. I needed her. I can't imagine myself having to return to anyone else but her.

But these questions she asked started to irritate me. It was as if she was taking this marriage so lightly. She seemed to notice the irritation in my tone.

"Spit it out. What is it that you want to say to me?"

Her eyes widened and her hands clenched tightly onto her gown.

"Uh..I..a divorce. Why aren't you saying anything about a d-divorce?"

Lilith

His face held emotions I didn't expect to see. It seemed he was surprised at the words I utterred. I felt as if I had made a mistake in saying anything about it...

His eyes furrowed and he walked towards me. His hands held my shoulders firmly as he looked deeply into my eyes.

"A divorce. Is that what you want?"

"N-No. I thought y-you would want a divorce. You were forced by my father. And...there are m-many other beautiful women."

He was more than capable so why is he taking me?

His grip on my shoulders tightened. I winced at how tight he held me. It was starting to hurt.

"K-Khael.."

"A divorce? That has never crossed my mind. I'm a grown man. I make the decisions I want to make for myself. Your father has nothing to do with me taking you as my wife. Other women you say? Hah!"

"B-But.."

His eyes turned dark.

"Enough! What is it with you? Is there someone else..is that it?!"

This was not what I intended our conversation to be like. No. I felt them rising against my will. My tears were threatening to fall and I looked down to hide them. But my delays for a response had him misunderstanding.

"You...While I was fighting for my life, here you were seeing a different man."

His hand cupped my face squeezing against my cheeks. The expression he had as he looked down at me was menacing. I was shaking in his hold. My breaths were taken away, I could not speak or even respond.

"I warn you to be wise. Tell me the name of this man."

*

Thank you