Chp. 53

Khael

I did not deserve to see her. How could I shamelessly stand before her, when all I do is cause her pain and put her in danger?

If I get rid of everything that could harm her, perhaps that will prevent anything from happening. If it only meant I would have blood on my hands to protect her, I will do it countless of time.

I would make sure there was nothing of my filthy past that would affect her anymore. Even as she had safely returned to me, I felt uneasy. If it was possible, I wanted to tie her to me and bring her around everywhere I went. To keep her close where I always see her.

I held her head close against my chest and wrapped her around with the cloak to provide her warmth. We traveled for a while in silence. I had Ruel stay beside Lilith halfway on the road. It was a long ride to have just one person leading us to the caves. Besides, it was initially my responsibility to bring Lilith back safely.

I kept my eyes on the road but at one point I felt my vision blur. I shook my head trying to keep myself in focus but it was no use. I had lost a lot of blood before. It seemed my body was having a hard time recovering the loss of blood but I had no thoughts of taking a break again. It was a waste of time.

I felt the cold sweat form above my forehead while my body temperature started to rise again. My head felt as if it pulsing inside and I felt that I was reaching a limit.

No, not now. We're almost there.

I held onto the reins tighter in attempts to keep myself together. I felt the blood from my shoulder trickle down from the pressure. The bandage had failed to absorb the blood and needed to be changed soon.

"Chief Khael!"

I heard the voices of my men in faint murmurs. When I looked up ahead, there were a group of them on their horses waiting for our arrival. Some had a look of shock from the state I was in. We were moments from arriving the Garvarian caves but they must've heard my orders from Ruel. They were waiting for us ahead of time.

"Don't worry about me. Take the Lady to Draylum first."

Lilith looked back at me as she was lead by one of our men to her separate carriage. I nodded with a smile to assure her that it was fine.

"Go on. I'll follow right behind you."

She held her hand close to her chest, hesitating to take her steps. But she eventually followed. I knew getting in the same carriage as her would not be a good idea right now. I wouldn't be able to focus staying so close to her.

My attention shifted when I noticed the carriage window slid open. When her eyes met mine, she immediately closed it. From time to time, I noticed she would do the same thing but I pretended not to notice. I wondered if she had something to say.

We took no breaks just as I planned. Although the weather was in our favor, we moved faster as the sky got darker. Soon enough I was able to see Draylum peek over the hills. I released a long breath of relief.

We were finally home.

Lilith

There was a knock by the window of the carriage followed by his voice.

"We're here."

His low, gentle voice sounded a bit raspy today. I hurried to slide the window open in hopes to catch a glimpse of Khael. Traveling alone in this carriage felt longer than when he embraced me in his arms. I wanted to see him.

By the time I opened the window, I was only able to see the side of his face. His attention was on the group of men that surrounded him in worry and greeted him back home. The man named Lucan seemed most eager to speak with him. It was clear that he was who Khael trusted the most. He was in charge of the safety of Draylum and Khael's men in his absence. Khael placed his hand on Lucan's shoulder but I was not able to hear their exchange of words.