Chp. 41

Lilith

When I opened my eyes it was getting dark already. I assumed I had been asleep for the whole day. My sleeping patterns have changed drastically and messed up my daily routine.

I turned my head over to find Khael sleeping with his arms crossed, leaning against the wall. He remained by my side the whole night without even returning to his room. He has been doing this the last couple of days and I was worried for his own well being. I did not want him to be so tired and drained because of me. But seeing him beside me made me feel much safer. Although I knew the importance of finding the one guilty of poisoning me, I wished he was able to stay by me more often. I felt that would help with my recovery.

My eyes drifted to his weapon on the wooden table. It was only a hand length away from him. Although it was always near, he never had it so close to him when he was asleep like this. I realized how cautious he's become. I too needed to be cautious. There were people that wanted to harm our child.

I gently moved my hand over my belly still fascinated by the truth. Our child was growing inside of me. At first, I was a bit scared from the news of my pregnancy. I did not feel ready for a child nor was I confident to be a mother. There was so much I lacked as Khael's wife so how could I ever be different as a mother?

But even in my worries, this was our son, a precious gift from above. He was a part of Khael and I. I was surely not worthy of this innocent child. That was more of a reason for me to sacrifice myself for the sake of our child. With these thoughts, I gathered my remaining energy to eat what Khael and the healer provided me.

Khael awoke as I started to move from the bed. He told me to remain inside and that I was in no state to be moving about yet. He came beside me and I sat there against his chest.

For days I have not been able to take a proper bath and I was covered in sweat. But even so he did not say a word or show any discomfort. Khael helped to wash myself in wet cloth. Thankfully, today the healer allowed for me to bathe but only in the condition of not moving excessively.

Cree, Cicili, as well as some of the other maids carried a large wooden tub to the room and poured hot water in it. After checking the temperature of the water with the back of their hands, the maids left for us to be alone.

No matter how many times I've been naked in front of Khael, I always found myself hesitating and glancing back at him. I carefully loosened the band around my chest and took off the robe. It slithered down to meet the floor and before I could even meet his eyes, he swooped me from under to bring me to the tub. I was startled and yelped as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I felt the heat off his body on my bare skin.

"How's the water? Is it too hot for you?"

I was able to feel his chest rumble from his low voice. I peered down and lowered my hand to allow my fingers to swiftly dip in the water.

"N-No, it is p-perfect."

Only then did he carefully lower me inside. I noticed the dried flowers floating about and the water smelled of dried medicine. It wasn't a strong scent but rather soothing and relaxing to my body. I hoped my body would recover fast from much effort everyone was putting for me.

Khael continued to soak the small towel and rub me again but I stopped him. His loving eyes met mine in confusion.

"K-Khael..I will wash you t-this time. L-let me wash you."

His face expressed discomfort at my words and he opposed to the idea.

"What nonsense. You expect me to agree to this? Definitely not. I've told you numerous times none of this is tiring me. Stop with your worries."