• Chp. 59 •

Lilith

"What do you have behind your back?"

His head tilted to the side to get a better look behind me. I stepped away from him and scrunched onto the talisman. What I had for him did not compare to the things he gave me. I couldn't find myself showing him this silly gift of mine.

"I-It is nothing."

He leaned back and made a look that confirmed he knew I was lying.

"You know you're making me more curious by hiding it."

His hand gently gripped onto my shoulder and slowly slid down to pull my forearm. I hesitated whether or not to loosen my fist. In the end, I allowed him to look inside. When I revealed what was inside, he had a look of confusion. He didn't understand what there was to hide about.

"I-It's a talisman. The m-merchant said it brings luck and protects one from harms way..."

My eyes shifted to bandages wrapped over his shoulder and arm. He was no longer bleeding heavily where it seeped through the bandage. It's healed to the point the sling was only a minor support.

"I-I don't want to e-ever see you get hurt."

The mere thought of what could've happened to Khael, had me shutter. After hearing those words from the merchant, I wanted to believe it was true. I did not want to see such deep scars or any more blood on him. I knew that would be impossible because he was a warrior and the leader of Dravicks.

Still, I want to protect Khael as he does for me. But I have no ways to do so physically and only find myself hoping for these words to be true. I wondered if these things were all useless for him.

For a moment, he was silent. It made me a bit nervous. I looked up to face up and found that his expression was different. I wasn't sure whether it was the talisman or my words that surprised him.

"Y-You must not like these things."

"Give it here. Who says I don't like it?"

He grabbed the bracelet and clasped it over the leather ones he had. I thought they blended surprisingly well with each other. The black beads that separated the colorful stones matched the dark leather.

"I've never received anything like this before. You've made something worth to remember."

I saw his eyes move around the details as he turned his wrist over. He seemed fascinated by the colors just as I was.

"T-This is so small c-compared to what you have p-prepared for me..."

He turned away from the colorful stones and his eyes were on me. He walked closer, closing the little distance we had. Again, my heart beated from seeing such warmth of his eyes he had for me.

"You've already given me greater gifts than I wished for."

My eyes trailed down to the movement of his hands as it gently landed above my belly.

"There will never be a greater gift than what you gave me. So there is no need for you to compare. What I do is what I want to do as your husband just like how you wish to do these things for me as my wife."

He waited for a response and so I nodded. After all, we would be with each other forever. I had time to give much more to my heart's content. His hands cupped my face and gave a little squeeze to my cheeks.

"And no more frowning. A smile better suits you."

I closed my eyes when he leaned closer to kiss my forehead.