Chp. 48

Khael

How warm.

There was someone here. I wondered who these warm hands belonged to. I felt their hand on the side of my face and looked up to see who could ever be so gentle. For a moment, I was sure I was hallucinating. But the warmth of her hand against my cheek felt all too real. I tried to reach her, forgetting that I was chained.

Fuck.

I yanked the chains that bounded my wrists. I wished to just break these off when she was only few steps away from me. The darkness down here prevented me from seeing her face clearly.

I had to see whether she was hurt or wounded in anyway. But the first thing I noticed was the look on her face. Her eyebrows were hunched, crying in front of me. It would be years til I can make up for the tears she shed because of me.

My hands scrunched to a fist as I could only watch her in sorrow. My fingers twitched when I saw that her tears coldly fall down her cheeks. They would dry without giving me the chance to wipe them for her.

I asked for her to come closer. I needed to get her out of here. As long as I stayed, she would be able to escape from this hell of a place. She shook her head from the thought of being separated again. I assured her that it would only be temporary, that I would come search for her.

"Y-You promise to c-come for me..y-you have to."

Of course. Of course I will...

So promise me. Promise that you'll leave this place. Please...I beg you. If you don't, I won't be able to endure all of this knowing that you're still here.

There was a tap on the metal bars of the gate. The boy outside warned us of the time. She would have to leave soon. I noticed her hesitating but eventually agreed to listen.

Just like the sweetheart she was. She never once argued with me.

She leaned forward to bid me farewell and felt her trembling lips against mine. I closed my eyes, trying to take in all of her that was before me. Even the lightest breath that breezed past my cheek.

I breathed out a long breath. The warmth of her small hands felt enough to heal my exhausted state. I leaned against them, hoping our moments together could be a bit longer. When I opened my eyes, they wandered down to her teared tunic. The ends were all torn against her knees. They were not far from the tips of my fingers.

If I could just hold the ends of her garment, would that allow us to stay together for a bit longer?

I closed my eyes because I knew better not to hold her back. I had to let her go. Our parting would only be temporary. After I escape from this place, I'll embrace her as long as I wish.

When all of this is over, I'll bring you back with me.

My eyes followed as the tips of her fingers slipped away from my face. The gates screeched, as I was locked up in this place again. I watched as her figure disappeared down the long tunnel and the faint flickers of torches from the night winds were the only things that filled the silence.

*

Lilith

"P-Please...just some w-water."

I turned back towards the dark entrance but the boy roughly yanked the ropes around my wrists. I whimpered in pain as it became hard to hold in from the opened scars. They've healed and tore apart numerous times already. He expressed his frustration and stared down at me with such a frightening expression.