Chp. 11

Lilith

After our departure, it started to rain as they mentioned. Khael didn't ride with me and remained outside after making sure I was fine being alone.

It turned out we had to reside in one of the abandoned cabins aside the road today. The cabin was used by farmers around the area but it had already been years since it was abandoned. It was covered with years of dust and webs.

The carriage door opened and Khael peered inside. He had this long dark cloak draping over him to avoid the rain. He removed his hood to face me.

"Lilith. I want you to sleep here today. There's no way I'm having you sleep in that dirty old cabin with bunch of men."

"H-Here?"

I didn't want to be in here alone. At least not too far from him. It would be frightening to be alone here at night.

"I'll bring you enough to keep you warm through the night."

Without thinking my hands immediately went to grasp onto his. He looked back in confusion.

"W-Wait. I don't want to stay here a-alone."

I clenched onto the ends of his cloak tighter but I couldn't look at him for long.

"I w-want to go with you..."

There was this silence between us and only the pitter patter of rain was heard. I almost thought he didn't hear me but he replied a bit after.

"I'll be outside. Don't worry."

"B-But..no you can't. Y-You'll be all drenched. It's p-pouring outside."

I pleaded hoping he would change his mind. I was fine sleeping in the cabin. I didn't mind at all.

"No, you'll stay here. There's no doubt about that. If that's what worries you, then I'll stay here with you."

There was this small surge of relief that waved over me. Khael would be with me tonight.

The carriage was pulled under a large tree next to the old cabin and the others moved there. The door creeked open when Khael came in. Parts of his hair was soaked from the rain. In one hand, he brought some straw from the cabin to lay beneath us. What he brought to cover ourselves through the night seemed thin.

The carriage seemed smaller now that we were both inside. Nothing too uncomfortable but rather cozy. He held the sheets to the side welcoming me in beside him.

"Come here."

My heart started to pound again. Now that we were really going to spend the night in this small place, it had me nervous.

"If you sleep in the corner, it'll get cold soon. Come here."

I hesitated a little before taking my steps towards him. He pulled me in nice and snug against his chest.

So warm.

"This will be the last time I have you sleeping like this. A lady shouldn't ever have to sleep in a carriage...I promise you'll find yourself in better care at Draylum."

He constantly reminded me. I wished to tell him he didn't have to worry so much about me. But the only thing I managed to do was shyly nod. With that he pressed his lips against my forehead and his arm wrapped tightly behind me.

My heart was pounding but it didn't bother me. I was able to hear his heart pound along with mine and it felt like a slow lullaby.

He didn't touch me as he did the night before. We would sleep like this today. When I peered up, his eyes were already closed. Perhaps he would fall asleep before me.

He must've been tired. The road to Draylum was quite far. Khael and his men had an extra person to care for. The travel would've been faster if it weren't for me.

I found myself staring at his define features while wandering in my thoughts. I was only bold enough to look at his face when he was asleep.

I wondered how it would feel to touch his face and to the base of his neck. It was how he had touched me often. It was a strange curiosity. I was scared he would awake if I touched him so I only traced above the outlines.

What long lashes...

If we weren't this close, I wouldn't have been able to see his features. It was so dark out here. I buried my face against him and closed my eyes. Tomorrow would be another long day.

*

By the time I opened my eyes it was morning. But Khael was no longer beside me. I opened one of the small windows inside the carriage and the rain had stopped. The storm had disappeared, just leaving the small puddles gathered on the ground.

I sat there while braiding my hair absorbing what was set before me. It was quite peaceful. No other travelers were on this road. The slight wind brushed across the fields and I caught sight of the paddy fields atop the hills several grounds away.

With a final pat and twist of my hair, I brought it over one shoulder and headed out. There was a basin filled with water from last night's rain. It was perfect to wash my face in.

I wiped my face with the small cloth I had in the pockets. When I walked closer towards the corner of the cabin, I saw Khael with his horse. It was a calm and gentle one. A black beauty.

"Pelipa. That's his name. He's been with me for roughly 8 years."

"P-Pelipa.."

Pelipa and Khael seemed to have shared many years together. Things I would never know. I was able to tell he was special to Khael.

His eyes turned to me and urged me to come closer. He held my hand in his and had me touch its mane. The hairs were thicker than I expected but still silky beneath my fingers.

I shied away from its movements and from this I saw a glint of his smile. He told me it was fine.

It was my first to ever see him this relaxed and genuinely smiling. It was faint and disappeared quickly but his eyes held excitement like that of young boy. I did not know these sides of him and I wondered what kind of man he was.

"We should be able to get to Draylum before sunset."

Today I would meet his people.
Khael. Draylum. They would both be of great importance to me now.

*

Thank you