Chp. 44

Khael

Lucan didn't know who engraved the symbol of our tribe for Lilith. This girl in front of me and I were the only ones that knew it was Naibi. It was enough of a reason for me to immediately have the guards seize her. But I wanted to make sure. I needed to.

I gritted my teeth and had my fists tight as I waited for my men to bring the two sisters that saw this girl. The sound of the underground gates closing echoed down the dark halls. Cree and Cicili followed in behind the guards and stood there with their heads low. The girl that was tied to the chair tried to look away but I forced her to look straight.

"Come closer. Look at her face carefully. Is she the one you girls saw?"

Cicili lifted her head carefully and squinted her eyes. Her eyes widened recognizing the girl and nodded her head.

"Yes, it was her. She was at the scene of the fire and she's the one that escorted Lady Lilith for the engravings."

From this, I was sure Naibi was behind Lilith's disappearance as well as her illness. The mere thought of her being involved in Lilith's disappearance had my heart race. I was foolish to leave my guard down with someone like her. I was foolish to have thought that there was anything humane left in her.

Years before, even when she had left me for my brother, I felt betrayed but held no hatred for her. It took years for me to try to understand that my incompetence was majority of the reason why she left. My young self believed those lies of hers that it was my fault that she left and for my brother's death. There was a part of me that felt responsible for her state now as a prostitute after losing Ansel and just as she mentioned no one else was beside her.

I questioned my hesitation for anything that involved Naibi. Why I was never as cold and direct with my decisions in front of her. It's became clear now. Perhaps the only thing that held us connected was the guilt I felt for her. There was never anything left but the guilt that's eaten me inside out for years.

But that too needed to end. There was none of that left inside me the moment she laid her hands on Lilith. The Naibi I used to know years before was long gone, vanished. She was monstrous.

My blood boiled and my hands started to shake from anger. I was furious that I've let this happen. The regrets of my past continued to haunt me now from my foolishness. I would no longer have my past hinder the choices I make now. I had greater importance to protect.

My dearest Lilith and our son.

I would never forgive myself for the dangers I've let them go through but right now I needed to make the decision. I didn't wait any longer to have the guards seize Naibi. The guards were ordered to have her tied in a different room from this girl. Keeping these two together was not safe especially because I knew how manipulative Naibi could be.

I aimed to push further and have this girl open her mouth about what Naibi had planned since she would never admit to her doings. Everyone was told to leave the room. The fire crackled as I stood in front of the girl alone in the room.

I spoke of Naibi and the girl raised her head in surprise from how I already knew who she was working for. I gave her no time to question me.

"Do you think Naibi will be able to protect you and your family? She never intended to keep promises she's made with you. If she did, you would've been out of this place by now."

Her eyes were weary and exhausted from the tortures. I was able to tell it was only moments from finally breaking her. I would be able to hear from those sealed lips.

When she finally opened her mouth, I found that she laid her trust in Naibi to protect her family in the circumstances they were in. It didn't surprise me that she used other's weaknesses for her own gains. That was who Naibi was.