Chp. 52

Khael

Is this another dream of mine? It must be.

She held me in her lap and peered down at me. But she did not smile for me as she did before. This time she weeped. Clumps of her tears gathered and eventually fell as her hands shook. They hesitated to touch me as if it would bring me pain. Her voice also trembled when she called my name.

It all felt so real.

I felt my body shift as she tried to leave me. I forced my eyes to focus. It was a blur but I noticed her figure as the fire flickered around us. I gripped onto her wrist for her to face me.

Turn this way. Let me see your face.

And she did. She turned back at what was holding her back. Her dark curls surrounded her small face like clouds. The specks of beauty marks spread across her smooth face. Her cheeks glowed and glistened from the trail of her tears.

I wanted to touch her even if it meant to just graze my fingers across the side of her face. Perhaps this would give me the answer I've waited for. As if she knew these thoughts of mine, she nodded and assured me that she was with me.

Lilith

Ruel was just as surprised to see Khael especially in his current state. His body was covered in awful bruises and cuts from when Nakoa had him chained up. But the wound on his shoulder was far worse. It was a miracle to me that he was able to reach us in time.

I paced back and forth as Khael was getting treated inside. Khael didn't want me watching because he was worried it would have me stressed. But not knowing how he was doing was more stressful.

I leaned around the corner to take a peek. I saw Ruel sterilizing his knife in the flame. There was a piece of the arrow that was still stuck inside the back of his shoulder and it had to be gauged out. He planned to cauterize the wound after. Khael had his eyes closed and leaned against one side of his shoulder as he waited.

No...I can't watch this.

I turned away and closed my eyes. I stayed patient as Khael had asked for. There were small grunts in the background but I didn't allow myself to open my eyes until Ruel called me.

When I walked closer to Khael, his eyes were faintly open and staring at me. I wished he would be able to rest but the pain on his shoulder didn't seem to allow it any time soon. His hand shook as it reached over my belly.

"How are you feeling?"

His voice was low but I was able to make out his words. I held his hand in mine and assured him that I was doing fine. Our child was safe. He breathed out a sigh in relief. But it seemed there was something else he wanted to say. His eyebrows scrunched together while his eyes wandered over my face. He had a look of deep concern.

"You've lost weight..."

"Even in t-this moment, you are w-worrying about me. I-I'm really fine."

I walked towards the fire to gather some of the rocks that laid around it. I wrapped some of them in the small piece of cloth from the rice bag so it could warm him up a bit. His body seemed awfully cold. His large hands accepted the heated rocks but he wanted something more. He opened the dark cloak we used as a blanket to invite me inside.

"Come here."

I shook my head and tried to convince him that it would be better for us to sleep separately. Especially in his current state.

"Please...I won't be able to sleep without you beside me."

His eyes begged for me to stay close to him. I couldn't find myself to ignore his pleas. I laid beside him but not too close. I held the sack of rocks close to him but he moved it in between us. The heat from both our bodies created greater warmth.