Chp. 73

Khael

Who are you looking for?

I turned back at Lucan who looked at me in confusion.

It was my only reason to attend these parties. I went in hopes to meet her in person. I saw it as a rare chance to get closer to her. But she wasn't here today either.

I've heard the Pensington's would be here at the party and they were clearly on the invitation list. The Duke as well as her two daughters were here, all except her.

Lady Lilith.

*

Again, I was searching for her. I did not want to be searching for her again tonight. It's been frustrating to see her drift away as I stood there surrounded by crowds of people. Their conversations and numerous questions were all just murmurs as my mind was solely on Lilith. Where she went, my eyes followed. But unlike me, Lilith seemed fine.

I finally managed to escape through plans of my own. My eyes scanned as I moved through the sea of bodies and stopped on my tracks when I found her. Before she could slip away out of my sight again, my hand reached down to grasp onto her thin wrist.

"K-Khael."

I was in a rush to take her away so we would be out of everyone's sight. I had no patience left for anyone to interrupt us again.

"Come with me."

Lilith

He had me sit down beside the pillar with my legs hanging. I peered down from above as he took a piece of cloth and dipped it in the river to soak against the stain on my dress before it settled. He gently patted down the area instead of rubbing it to prevent it from creating an obvious blotch on the dress.

The sounds of the music played softly in the background while the murmurs of guests faintly blended in with the music. The lights from the ballroom gently lit against his hair creating a gradient of colors.

He was solely focused on getting out the stain that he didn't even notice my hands reaching over to brush a strand of his hair that fell over his forehead. From this his movements stopped.

"H-Happy Birthday Khael..."

I'd lost my chances to say this to him throughout the day and finally got to say it to him much later than everyone else.

Khael

The sun was just about setting and its rays sprinkled onto parts of Lilith's dress. She would be glamorous than any other star in the sky tonight.

She sat on the balustrade of the terrace while I looked up from below her as she caressed my face.

"You've prepared so much for me tonight. I'm at a loss for words."

Without much thought, I grabbed onto both sides of her face and pulled her in for a kiss.

"K-Khael."

She broke away trying to catch her breath.

"I-Is it okay for you to be here like this? P-Princess Rosetta..."

She turned away in the direction of where the princess was in the ballroom. Her eyes trailed back to mine timidly. Although she did not say the exact words, I was able to tell the thoughts she had. I had a firm grip of her chin by my two fingers and looked straight down into her eyes.

"It's fine. She has plenty of others to keep her company. Besides, I've wanted to spend the rest of the night with you. Do you wish me to go?"

I knew of her answer but still asked because I wanted to hear it from her directly. She shook her head and her eyes looked at the ground then back at mine. She was shy but more vocal of her feelings.