Chapter 12 - Warnings

We were an hour away from the pack house, we stopped to get gas and some snacks. I've been sleeping most of the time but I told Conner and Caius to take a break, so we switched and now I'm driving.

Conner's even breathing next to me and Caius' in the back seat dosing off, 'I like the big one' Ember stated, her sudden appearance caused me to gasp.

"Must you do that" I snapped.

'What? Talk? It's the only way to get my opinion across honey' her sarcasm was made me smirk, "what about Conner?" I asked.

'He's reliable.'

"Reliable? Is that all?"

'I won't deny that he has a good heart but he's still on probation for hurting our mate' I agreed with her, Conner was indeed a genuinely special person in my eyes that has the potential to go further with my help but I won't put the stakes so high just yet.

I checked the time it was just after noon, I felt a shiver run up my spine and I gripped onto the staring wheel tighter.

Conner and Caius stirred and woke with a jolt.

I slammed the brakes on the car as a wolf jumped in front of us.

The red eyes, dirty shaggy fur, mouth turned up in a viscous snarl as drool made its way out of its muzzle.

"A rogue" Conner whispered, he looked around and frowned "the others are hiding."

Conner opened the passenger door and got out; I realized Caius had already gotten out too. I sighed and opened the car door; I took my time getting out and stood between my beta and my guard.

The rogue didn't bother to shift and my mood went south quickly "either state your business or you're going to be road kill" I snapped.

A man stepped out of the trees, two slash marks going down the left side of his face; he wore a sinister smile, his black orbs boring holes into my eyes.

"Who would have thought the Crimson Warrior had such a...lush alpha. I have to say I did not expect this" his voice was croaky and every word that came out of his mouth happened to annoy me.

"I have to say I wouldn't have foresaw your little...ambush" my tone was flat, the guy's smile broke into a grin, his posture was a bit slack and his dark hair was being taken away by the breeze.

Conner growled, getting the man's attention, he looked at him disapprovingly "what do you want?" he asked.

The man kept his smile and turned to me, "there are plenty surprises in store for you alpha, starting with your branches."

What the hell is he going on about? "I'm not a fan of whatever poetry you're quoting. Skip to the point" I ordered.

"Our little visit is one of many to come in the future babe, I'm just here to warn you to watch your branches, some tend to stray others just fall and die" he stated.

I rolled my eyes "thank you very much, please have your pup move before I run him over" I smiled politely.

The dog dared to growl at me stepping closer, I growled halting him "if you so much as drool on my car I'll rip you head off!"

"Let's go...see you around babe" the guy called and him and his minions left. I got back in the car with Caius and Conner on extreme alert. I didn't like people playing mind games with me and sure is hell not those mutts from earlier.