Chapter 20 - Closure

I've been watching them, how they interact, straining my ears to listen to their conversations; I've kept track of where they've been going and with whom. It's frustrating to think one pup caused my sudden suspicions of my entire pack.

I can't be entirely sure that Thayer was the only one of members who's been compromised.

I hated to admit it but David and Dominic have gotten inside my head, and I could go crazy suspecting each person in the pack. It's really laughable how this had happen; I'm an alpha who is skeptical about her own pack, it's vexing.

"I want everyone in the dining room now!" I instructed through the mind link.

I stalked out of my office and jogged down to the dining room, the last of the pack were filing in. Caleb was standing right beside me, entwining our hands as we stood as one.

Everyone stared at me, expressions of confusion and anxiety on their faces.

"How many of you know Thayer Mills?" I asked.

A good set of hands went up "he hasn't been around lately though" a girl stated, a blonde with brown eyes. Alexandra Bain. I've studied each one of the files on the people in my pack.

"Yes, I know..." I murmured.

"Where is he?" another one asked.

"Strung out" I replied in a flat tone, "A-Alpha...w-what does that mean?" someone else questioned.

I sighed and sat in one of the chairs never letting go of my mates hand "I'm having a bit of an issue with trust here" I paused "an alpha is supposed to trust their pack, but it's a little difficult when the members turn their backs on you and sell you out to the highest bidder."

The room was eerily silent, heartbeats raced and cold sweat formed onto the foreheads of some people.

"Do you trust me-us?" I asked them.

"Yes alpha!"

"Of course!"

"With our lives."

It made me happy to hear their various answers of yes. I sighed, 'they trust you so have some faith in them' ember told me, and I nodded.

"Thayer's dead" I told them.

I watched as the girl Alexandra hit the tiled floor, and women shrieked in surprise around. "Alpha, what happened to Thayer?" Raymond asked.

"He joined the enemy, getting tricked in the process and it resulted in his death" I stated "and now you suspect that they are others because of him?" Carly's ragged voice made me turn my head toward her.

"Can you blame me?" I snapped.

She held her head down, "Alpha, I know that it's only fair to be doubtful of us. But we have put our trust in you, I think it's only fair that you put yours in us and believe that we will not turn our backs on you like Thayer did."

"I have put my trust in you. That is why it was so disappointing to find out that Thayer was a traitor" I said.

"Who was it? That Thayer betrayed us all for?" one of the enforcers asked.

I told them the story of what happened and why the barbeque was needed. I could feel their dismay through the pack bond; everyone was now questioning each other. I looked to Caleb and he gave me a brief nod and a small smile, just with that a silent message passed between us. Today he'd just be my support.

"I know what you are all thinking, what if there's someone else putting us all in danger" the look on their faces said it all so I continued "you all need to trust in each other, I believe in all of you and I will protect all of you."

Everyone smiled, the feeling of security was adamant in through our bonds, the more they believed in themselves and in me the stronger we'd be.