Ch. 17: Cafés & Books pt. 2

After that short awkwardness, Danielle took the little girl in Beatrice's arms and immediately left. The little girl waved goodbye to Beatrice which Beatrice tried not so hard to wave back but gave the little girl a small nod. Beatrice didn't say anything to Ava and Ava didn't want to ruin Beatrice's mood and so she didn't say anything and just stood there in the line.

When it was their turn to order something, Ava took care of it. Beatrice was in her own thinking phase, Ava just pulled Beatrice in her side while they waited for their order. Five minutes later, they were called for their order. Ava grabbed the paper bag and told Beatrice to follow her behind, it was a good thing that the food court was near the fun zone.

Ava saw a clean table and put all the stuff she was holding down on the table, Beatrice sat down to the chair and Ava sat on the opposite. Beatrice fell in silence while Ava prepared the food that they bought. It was two boxes of corn dogs because it was a buy one get one free, it contains four large, delicious, mouth watering corn dogs with their sauces.

"Bea? You can start eating." Ava spoke.

"I'm not hungry, Ava." Beatrice replied, the tone of her voice came out strong and rude. Indicating Ava that she is bothered because of what happened earlier.

"Your stomach doesn't agree with you?" Ava said.

"I'm not hungry, so just—" Beatrice started to raise her voice but Ava grabbed her hand and looked at her right in the eyes.

"You're mad, Beatrice I get that. But please, not here." Ava said to Beatrice, in a soft and gentle way so the older girl won't yell anymore. She was hurt to see Beatrice acting that way, she remembered the woman earlier. The only reason for Beatrice's mood to change, Beatrice felt a small movement of Ava's thumb, assuring that it's okay. She's okay.

Beatrice noticed the sudden sadness from her love of her life's eyes, she softened right away. Beatrice found herself calming down, Ava didn't let go of Beatrice's hand which Beatrice gave a gentle squeeze.

"Are you calm now?" Ava asked.

"Maybe a little. Thank you." Beatrice replied.

"You should eat, your stomach keeps making sounds." Ava said, let out a soft chuckle escaping from her mouth. Beatrice gave her weak smile and grabbed the first corn dog, dipping to the sauce and took her first bite.

"I'm sorry." Beatrice said to Ava.

"Why are you apologizing, Bea?" Ava asked. Beatrice didn't say anything and continued eating, Ava was confused but didn't bother asking the older girl a question. She then suddenly remember about the plushies she won earlier at the arcade.

"Look, I got these earlier at the arcade while I was waiting for you." Ava said to Beatrice. Beatrice watched the younger girl grab the two plushie toys and playfully wave it to her.

"A moon and a sun plushie." Beatrice muttered. Ava nodded her head with a smile on her lips.

"Here. The sun is yours, the moon is mine this time. I couldn't exactly remember the story you told me when we were little but I was a little bummed because we didn't match our symbols." Ava said, recalling the faint memory of their childhood days.

"What I remember is you telling me, I'm your moon." Beatrice replied.

"And I am your sunlight. I will never forget that." Ava said. Beatrice wondered if Ava still remembers the line that still gives Beatrice butterflies in her stomach and makes her heart pound so hard against her chest.

Being around Ava made her feel more vulnerable and gentle, this girl had so much impact on her and it was strong. When Ava held her hand earlier when she almost burst out her anger but the touch of this girl had pushed it all away.