Ch. 46: Altercations

Continuation of Chapter 45

.

.

.

"When did you receive the package, Mrs. Quinton?" Detective Gabbe asked.

"This morning I'm doing my usual routine every Friday morning. I go through our mail and as soon as I open the door, the box is right outside our porch." Mrs Quinton replied.

"Mr Quinton was still at home with you when you saw the package?" Detective Denvers asked this time.

"Yes, he was making us breakfast while I volunteered to take the mail outside." Beatrice listened carefully to every word they said, analyzing what the elders were saying. She knew it was a bad idea to bring Bea into their home, Beatrice stood next to the couch where Ava was sitting. They held each other's hands.

"Would it be all right if we took this to the station, ma'am? We will investigate further and find out who sent this to you. They may be the criminal who took your daughter." Detective Denvers spoke politely to the older woman. Beatrice's heart broke for these people because they did not deserve to lose a child in the hands of a predator who had abused her for who knows how long, and now to hear the bad news that their child had been taken by the father of their own child, leaving her without a mother and that he had been caught and sent to prison, leaving the child without another parent.

"Just find our daughter. Find our princess and bring her home..." Derek's tears wouldn't stop running down his cheeks, Beatrice kept a cold face, but deep inside she held back the urge to let out a single cry. The questioning lasted only a few minutes and the detectives decided to call it a day. Beatrice and Ava insisted on buying them fresh ingredients and cooking them some good, tasty main courses. Beatrice used an application store on her phone to order the goods they needed to cook.

Beatrice stood in front of the room she used to come to when she was younger. The room held a lot of memories of Beatrice with Quinton, mostly the bad ones, but that did not change the fact that she felt more alive and safer here in those days. Beatrice took a deep breath before grabbing the doorknob and turning it. Beatrice swung the door open, revealing the room she used to see every morning when she came in after a long party with Quinton.

The familiar faces hanging on the walls, pictures from the rehabilitation camp they both went to during their senior year for being the worst teenagers in town with the other gang they were in.

"So this is where you spent most of your childhood, huh?" She overheard Ava talking to her and turned to see the younger girl looking at the other picture frames sitting next to the large, plain white drawers.

"Jealous?" Beatrice asked.

"Yeah, great. Because she gets to see you grow up, hold your hand, even kiss you. Did she kiss you? How many times? Because the way you..." Beatrice cut her off with a kiss on the lips, feeling the younger girl. Beatrice pulled away and smiled at the younger girl who was caught off guard.

"It doesn't count if it's not you, Ava. So, no." Beatrice explained, hugging Ava from behind. She rested her chin on Ava's left shoulder. She closed her eyes, letting herself feel more comfortable and calm.

"Have you ever thought about it? Um... what if you and I never saw each other again? Would you go back and give Danielle a chance to be with you and raise Bea?" Ava asked.

"No, Danielle had left me with so many scars that even I cannot find a way to heal them. But you, you healed the scars you didn't even cause, but I'm glad it's you. No one else could do it but you," Beatrice replied. Beatrice replied. She planted a soft kiss on Ava's shoulder before pulling away.