Chapter 2

No one's POV

The sun was rising over the tops of the trees but, not a single sound was heard. The storm had passed and the ghouls had returned to their den within the forest. But before they left they completely destroyed the family's home and the barn next to it. Luckily the children's hiding spot wasn't discoverer by the ghouls. And now Max and Susan were leaving the bunker's to inspect the damages caused by the ghouls. 

Max POV

Max and Susan exited the bunker and were shocked at what they saw. The entire house was destroyed. The windows were shattered, doors smashed to splinters, giant scratch marks littered the walls, and the furniture had been completely destroyed. 

Max: "Man what a mess they didn't leave anything standing." He said with a saddened voice as he gassed upon what was left of his home. 

Susan: "M-m-max."

Max looked over to see his sister had her hands over her mouth and tears flowing down her cheeks. He walked over and saw the horrific site she had found. It was the remains of their parents. Both their bodies were torn apart not even resembling the loving couple they used to be. 

His sister turned to her brother and cried into his shoulder. He brought his arms around her back and tightly hugged her. They stayed like this for a while until max broke the hug. 

Max: "Susan I need you to go and grab anything from the bunker we will need." He said plainly 

Susan: "What why?" She said confused.

Max: "We need to leave if we stay here the ghouls will only come back and in greater numbers." 

Susan: "But where will we go? There is no other town or city for hundreds of miles." She said looking at her brother with fear in her eyes. 

Max: "I don't know but I know this dad told me the protect you all and that is what I plan on doing so, please Susan do this for me." He said with a saddened voice. 

Susan: "And what are you going to do?"

Max: "Put our parents to rest." He said with tears in his eyes. 

Susan nodded her head and returned to the bunker while Max got to work burring his parents. 

Time Skip

Max finished burring his parents. He buried them under their favorite oak tree which sat on top of a hill near the house. He buried them facing away from the house and towards the sun set so they would have a beautiful view for all eternity. 

Max looked at his parent's grave and felt tears coming down his face. He then heard a sound behind him. Turning around he saw all of his siblings fully dressed and each one of them had a backpack full of all the things they needed. Susan walked up to him and handed him his pack along with his AR-15, his father's Benelli M4, and a K-bar knife that belonged to his father. 

He watched as his younger siblings moved around him and stood at the base of their parents grave. The two youngest collapsed onto their knees crying into their hands while Susan hugged her brother as she cried into his shoulder. 

Max's mind: "I swear on my life that I will protect them with my life mom and dad."

William: "We w-w-will n-never s-see them a-again." He said while crying. 

Max knelt down and placed a hand on his brother's shoulder causing the boy to look him in the eyes. 

Max: "No we will see them one day in a place that is far better then we can ever imagine. But right now we must remain strong for them and look out for each other for them." He said while motioning to the graves with his hand.