Chapter 8

No one's POV

The Sun was high in the sky as Summer and Mason walked home with their new pups in tow. Summer and Mason had William and Rachel riding on their shoulders. With William on Mason's and Rachel on Summer's and Max and Susan were walking in between them but, Max had a strange feeling he couldn't shake. 

Max's POV

As they were walking through Max had this feeling that they were being watched from the cover he tried to ignore it at first but, no matter how hard he tried to rid himself of this feeling it just kept coming back to him.  

Max's mind: "Why do I feel like this nothing is wrong."

 Max looked back only to see nothing. However, Max caught a glimpse of a black silhouette quickly dashing across the path only to have it quickly disappear into the forest. Whatever it was moved so quickly he wasn't able to see what it was. 

Max's mind: "What was that?"

Max squinted his eyes trying to spot whatever he saw dashing across the road. After watching the road for a few seconds he determined that whatever it was it was gone. 

Max's mind: "Well whatever it is it's gone now."

However, he still couldn't shake the feeling they were being watched. Then the soft voice of Summer broke him out of his train of thought. 

Summer: "Is something wrong Max?" She asked with a hint of worry in his voice. 

Max turned around to see that everyone was now a few feet ahead of him. They all had stopped once they noticed he was just standing there and they were all now facing him with everyone having looks of confusion. 

Max then looked back one last time for a split second and then turned back around to face his family. 

Max: "Nothing thought I heard something behind us." He said with a small smile. 

Summer then walked over to him and knelt down while placing a hand on his shoulder. 

Summer: "You don't have to worry about anything anymore dear. And once we get back to the pack there is no one that would dare to mess with us." She said with a smile. 

Max looked her in the eyes and couldn't help but smile.

Max: "Ok Summer I believe you." He said truthfully.

Summer: "That's good now come on we still have a little ways to go."

With that, she stood up and started walking off. Max still had that feeling though so he reached behind him and turned off the safeties on his guns. After that, he quickly caught up with everyone and continued walking alongside them.

 No one's POV

Back in the woods, the ghoul scout lets out a sigh of relief that he didn't get spotted when he tried to cross the road. Just then his comrade came up behind him and smacked the back of his head for such a reckless act. This caused him to yelp a little but not loud enough for the wolves or children to hear. After he recovered the ghouls quickly resumed their stalking of the family. 

 Back to the children 

The group had decided to take a small break from their travel. Summer and Mason sat down in a small clearing by a small stream. They took the children off their shoulders allowing them to stretch their legs. 

Mason's POV

Mason sat down beside Summer with his arm wrapped around her neck. They both leaned against a tree while they watched their new pups playing by the edge of the creek. He then let out a sigh that caught his attention of Summer.