Marble Steps

Oikawa collected himself and followed closely behind you to the pit. You walked back over to Iwaizumi and the others by the main computer.

"(Y/N), you and Kageyama will go together as patrons to the restaurant. Pretend you're on a date or something and try to locate their computer system. It should be on the second floor," Coach briefed.

Oikawa interjected, "What? No. I'll go with her, I'm her commanding officer. No need for our little Tobio here."

"This is why I asked for Iwa to send me off. I'm going with Kageyama," you asserted.

"No—" Oikawa started.

"She will go with Kageyama. She'll stay focused and be able to complete the mission without having to worry about you looming over her," Iwaizumi declared.

"It's settled," Coach agreed. "Kenma and the rest of us will be able to speak with you through your earpieces. Kageyama, take the van."

"Fine, I'm going with them. There's no changing my mind on that," Oikawa grunted.

"You don't take a single step out of the van," Coach warned through gritted teeth.

In preparing for the undercover infiltration, you were given an earpiece and a small tablet. It sort of reminded you of a Nintendo switch which you couldn't help but childishly point out to the rest of the team and Hinata excitedly agreed with you. Since you had to look like you were on a casual dinner date with Kageyama, you stayed in your outfit from earlier. You piled into the van with Oikawa and Kageyama, the former in the driver's seat.

The two agents stepped you through the mission with Kenma, Hinata, Coach, Takeda, and Iwaizumi on the line. Even though they were on their third round of explaining the task to you, you nodded mindlessly. The restaurant was rather far from HQ, about thirty minutes' drive time.

Once you made it outside the restaurant, it was already nightfall. You grabbed your white purse, putting away the tablet you were given as you took a deep breath. Oikawa held your hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze, you looked at his hand, then his face. You gave him an almost invisible smile as you squeezed his hand, too.

You let him go and grabbed Kageyama's hand instead, following him off the van and towards the entrance of the Nohebi restaurant. Oikawa watched through the windshield, the sight of you holding onto a man that wasn't him sent a flash of pain through his diaphragm. He wasn't sure if it was his pride he needed to set to the side or the way his heart beat for you.

You spoke into the earpiece as you approached the front door, "We're walking in now."

"Perfect, now grab a table by the stairs or something," Kenma advised.

The doorman outside greeted you and held the door open. Kageyama held onto your hand a bit tighter as you approached the reception podium in front of the restaurant. The inside of the eatery was packed, nearly every table was occupied. The restaurant was larger than you anticipated, thinking it would be a small hole in the wall. The two of you scoped the inside, the fancy pillars and high ceiling throwing you off.

"Table for two," Kageyama told the guy in the front.

The host nodded and led you to a table near the front window. He began setting down the menus and you requested "Actually, is it alright if we sit over there?" You pointed towards the back at an empty table by a closed off hallway.

"Yes, ma'am," the host nodded politely leading you to the back.

He set down your menus and poured you glasses of water. Once he walked away and was out of earshot, Kageyama whispered, "Good thinking."